Is my moisture meter lying??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akennyd

Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
I have a healthy/live pine tree that I cut down sometime near the end of September. It was immediately bucked and split it into smallish 2"-4" splits then stacked loosely and the top was covered. I was hoping some of this would be ready in 6 months or so to burn, at least some of the thinner stuff...

Over the last few days, I re-split some of the smaller splits and measured the moisture with my cheap chinese meter, they are measuring less than 20% and sometimes down around 15-16%. I did the same for some 4" and over splits and they were still measuring over 20%. As a test for my meter I checked some of the lumber laying around in my garage and it tells me they are anywhere from 10-14% so it must be somewhat accurate...

I have already burned some of the smaller splits in my Fireview (along with some scrap lumber) for break-in fires and noticed no hissing or bubbling from moisture out of these splits.

Two months of drying for thinner pine splits? Can this be true? Am I missing something?

Kenny
John 3:16

Pine is great that way. I split a couple cord in May and it is bone dry now.

Definitely possible. Does you moisture meter have any means of verifying the calibration on it?

If not, find a friend that has one and check the same piece of wood side by side to see what you both come up with.

Sounds right. I always check relative items. Kiln dried demensional lumber, recently split oak, seasoned ash, etc. You than get an idea. If you touch it to your hand, I think you should get a reading in the mid thirties.

Pine dries real fast. I was splitting some that was dripping with moisture, actually splashing when I hit it with the maul.
Two months later light as a feather and dry as a bone. Works great for quick warm ups in the morning.

Hurricane said:
Pine dries real fast. I was splitting some that was dripping with moisture, actually splashing when I hit it with the maul.
Two months later light as a feather and dry as a bone. Works great for quick warm ups in the morning.

That's the way mine was, just bubbling and oozing sap when I split it. Was really dashing my hopes of burning it any time soon!! But like you said, it is now MUCH lighter than the pine I'm currently splitting, noticeably lighter.

Thanks to all for the input!!

Kenny
John 3:16

I've had pine do the same in anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

Pagey said:
I've had pine do the same in anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.
OH NO! The secret is out PINE IS FINE!

I don't know the reason, but it is still a better burn after you let it sit for a year. I found that out by accident. I didn't burn all of my pine year before last and so a half cord sat on the stack for another year. The burning difference was daylight and dark. The pine burned much more like hardwood does. Don't ask me why....

Status
Not open for further replies.