Is my Oslo pulling too much air while burning secondary air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I have been burning maple this season and have noticed the stove likes to do some aggresive secondary burning with this stuff. Last year i was burning mostly poplar i got in exchange for some unseasoned maple.

Here is a link to a youtube video i posted showing the stove breathing fire like a dragon. In the video, I have the primary air all the way closed.

I also notice a lot of people on here saying that their stoves get hotter when burning secs, but mine seems to level out when i start to back the air down, and sometimes it even drops in temp. For the most part she will stay around 450, which im ok with. Just curious if it should definitely be rising or if it just happens sometimes.

Donkey

Looks normal. As long as the majority, if not all of the flames are coming from the secondary tubes I think you're good. My stove usually tapers out around 450 - 500 with the air completely shut.

Looks like normal secondary burn to me too. The Castine would put on a fire show like that with every load. Was this wood put on hot coals or a cold start of the stove?

It was a regular reload. I rake the coals forward and burn them down a bit, then reload from the back to front. So the back log sits right on the stove floor. I may be crazy, but i feel like i get longer burns that way.

Looks like you are doing fine. For a less vigorous restart try burning the coals down a bit more.

Reactions: phatdonkey
I enjoyed the soundtrack to your video.

I wouldn't worry about too much air unless you experience 1) high flue temps, and/or 2) short burn times.

I enjoyed the soundtrack to your video.

It really is a terrific show.

I wouldn't worry about too much air unless you experience 1) high flue temps, and/or 2) short burn times.

I get good burn times. I can mount a therm just above the tee, but im not sure how effective that would be. I have the Oslo exhausting out the back and up a masonry chimney.

It looks good the other thing is your wood seasoned better than last year. I mean has it been cut split stacked for some time now that will definitely improve your fire

It looks good the other thing is your wood seasoned better than last year. I mean has it been cut split stacked for some time now that will definitely improve your fire

I was a lot more prepared this year. I got the stove half way thru last season (jan 16).

I had about 3.5 cord of maple css by last feb. Plenty windy here and im seeing a consistent upper teens to 20% mc on my HF mm. Big improvement over last year.

Looks normal . . . or is it?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no . . . ;)

Actually, just commenting on the "soundtrack" . . . really . . . looks good.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Status
Not open for further replies.