Is my stovepipe installed correctly please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks AlbergSteve. Mine ISN'T like that. See my sketch. It's a telescoping. The male with no crimped end is completely over the collar. There is no space between the inside & outside for the collar to slip between like that... if that's what you meant. And the female is above the male, held in place with 3 screws. The female is the only one with a crimped end & it's over the "crimped end of pipe adapter". Doubtful that end will fit inside my stove collar but I'll see.
So when I put the skinnier male on top should the pipe fit up in between the "crimped end of pipe adapter" & the support box?
Yes I knew the band wasn't a necessity. A friend went on & on & threw a fit that I didn't want it tighter... thinking it DID something. I got up there & pretended to tighten it.
P.S. Don't know if my last post went through or not... with the photo of my chimney, an install I saw online, & my stovepipe without the band before it was moved up. BAD install. I didn't do it. Idiot store here.

Well, without more pictures, I'm confused as hell. IF you have telescoping pipe, the end that you show at the stove top must have a male crimped end inside of that. Shut the stove down, give us a few more pictures of the tele pipe.

This picture is of the pipe adapter that comes out of my support box.

It is crimped. It is inserted INSIDE the upper female end of the telescoping pipe...

Shown in this picture...

The following picture is the male end. The inner pipe fits inside the stove collar. Like yours, the outer pipe is predrilled for attachment the stove collar.

And the female is above the male, held in place with 3 screws. The female is the only one with a crimped end & it's over the "crimped end of pipe adapter"
If this statement is true, your stove pipe is installed correctly. I also saw in the first picture that you posted of the tele pipe, the upper outside pipe is of a larger dimension and slips over the smaller, lower pipe section, just like mine.

Reactions: blacktail
Whoa, neither of my pipes have that space in between the 2 walls!
Was I sold the wrong pipes altogether? or does my style require an adaptor that goes into the collar?
Does your female pipe have that space in between the 2 walls & fit over the pipe adapter up at the support box in the same way as the male fits over the stove collar or does the female slip in that small space between the pipe adaptor & support box?
Sigh, My pipe adaptor up there is less than half the length of yours too!
One more question please!
Is my male pipe releasing too much heat on the way up since it has so many holes? The holes don't go through to the inside but there's still insulation loss.
A thousand thank you's AlbergSteve!

I don't think your creosote problem is directly related to what is being chased here.

I suspect wet wood. Perhaps combined with practices that could be improved.

Reactions: webby3650
You have different pipe, it doesn’t all have a separation at the end like that. I think you just need a stovetop adaptor. That’s old pipe, you may not be able to find one.

Was I sold the wrong pipes altogether? or does my style require an adaptor that goes into the collar?
Does your female pipe have that space in between the 2 walls & fit over the pipe adapter up at the support box in the same way as the male fits over the stove collar or does the female slip in that small space between the pipe adaptor & support box?
Sigh, My pipe adaptor up there is less than half the length of yours too!
One more question please!
Is my male pipe releasing too much heat on the way up since it has so many holes? The holes don't go through to the inside but there's still insulation loss.
A thousand thank you's AlbergSteve!
I don't understand how the pipe at the stove doesn't have an inner wall that fits inside the stove collar. If it doesn't, and you're having the creosote issues that you mentioned earlier, that's a problem and I would stop using the stove now. Sorry, without more pictures of your setup, ie. the stove pipe removed and a couple of pics of each end to help you further.

Just to clarify, Kuma do you have single-wall or double-wall stove pipe? Sounds like single-wall telescoping, but maybe not?

maple - it's dry

webby - you are probably right... Unless that bottom pipe was installed upside down & the screws were put into the end with that separation at the end like that.
Seriously, no creo on the stovetop even though the pipe is outside the stove collar... maybe because it clogs so soon that nothing can fall/drip down!
I'm thinking an adaptor up top to insulate better up there where it clogs.

AlbergSteve - can't go without heat and I'm way to non-functional in the morning when the stove is cold enough to do it... partly because it's 60 degrees in here (about 16C I think)
Any more photos & I won't be able to open this page but I could post the link to my photo host when I can take the pipes off.

begreen- double-wall telescoping - photos & illustration are in the thread named
Is my stovepipe installed correctly please? ... without the RE: - thread in front of the title

Since the issue is the clog up top... 4 questions

That top pipe has a crimped end which is butted up against the support box, not IN it. It's not double wall at the crimp. [see photo in the other thread] It's pushed up farther now but still not IN the support box.
1. Is it too thin there to insulate the heat up there?

Should that pipe be wedged IN BETWEEN the support box & pipe adapter up at the ceiling or
2. is butted up against (not IN) the support box OK?

The silver adaptor coming out of the ceiling only sticks out about 1 1/2 inches... (I think that 3 1/2 centimeters)
3. Should that silver adaptor be extended to insulate better up there under the support box?

4. Do all the holes in the pipe (only through outer wall) make for too much heat loss in the pipe?

Note: if you look here
And here

5. Isn't the wider the narrower diameter pipe supposed to go on the bottom?

Maybe mine is entirely upside down & I should put
wider diameter pipe on the bottom with the crimped end into the collar
narrower diameter pipe on top so that there's more substantial metal over the pipe adaptor under the support box.

Edit
That was 5 questions & I mis-typed the 5th one.
Should be
5. Isn't the wider diameter pipe supposed to go on the bottom?
PS my second link to another forum didn't post. Theory is that if the narrower diameter pipe is above the wider one, the creo would drip into the bottom one & not out of the seam like it would if the wider one was above the narrower one.

The silver adaptor coming out of the ceiling only sticks out about 1 1/2 inches... (I think that 3 1/2 centimeters)
3. Should that silver adaptor be extended to insulate better up there under the support box?

That sounds like the DuraVent DVL adapter. If so, and it is crimped, then someone didn't know what they were doing. If you look at the stove pipe head on from what is now the stove end, is there a series of holes around the inner perimeter?

Problem is that doesn't look like a DuraVent ceiling support box. Has me wondering if someone tried adapting this.

I merged the threads to reduce repetition and confusion.

Last edited:
Who knows at this point what parts have been used here? The silver adaptor does make it sound like a dura vent chimney but the one picture looks like old metalbestos, the connector pipe also looks like old metalbestos to me. We are playing where’s Waldo at this point if decent pictures can’t be added...

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Might be a cobbled together system with whatever was on the truck.

Reactions: AlbergSteve