Is my switch bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

niemiboz

Sep 21, 2020
Montana
Hey guys, I've been searching threads and can't find an answer. HVAC by nature so I'm figuring my F/P should be easy. Not so. I have a Heat-n-Glo SL-550-c Nat. Gas. Been in the home 11 years and this reared it's head winter of 19'. I replaced the Thermocouple and Thermopile in the fall of 18'. The unit worked fine that winter. Then next fall it started not coming on with the T-stat. If I t/on the tech switch it comes on, stays on if I shut the switch off, and stays on and will go off with the stat. It won't come on with the switch off just using the stat. I replaced the stat (mv of course) same thing. I suspect the switch but by the diagram I want to know if simply jumping it will prove that right. I can't tell if these are SPST or DPST. Kinda need to know if I need to replace it. I'm also curious if you can just bypass the switch and run off the stat. I know it's probably a simple answer I'm stepping right over!

Attachments

• 20201116_080915 (2).jpg
    20201116_080915 (2).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 118
If the switch is bad & you only want to use the tstat, attach
the THermostat wires to the TH & TH-TP terminals on the gas valve.
No polarity involved so either spade can go on either terminal.
You CAN jump the switch - middle spades.
You can also check the switch for continuity, same spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: niemiboz
If the switch is bad & you only want to use the tstat, attach
the THermostat wires to the TH & TH-TP terminals. No
polarity involved. You CAN jump the switch - middle spades.
You can also check the switch for continuity.
I'll give just running off the stat a try. Thanks.

Ok. To check the tstat wiring, pull them off the back & connect them.
If the unit comes on, it's the tstat
Already done. The genius who did the install used SPEAKER wire to the stat. Changed that when we moved in. "Can't fix stupid but you can charge for it".