Is my XXV running as it should?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedNH

Aug 30, 2006
Surry NH
Being a new pellet stover I am curious to know if Im running it optimaly.

I have quite a bit of "ash/stuff" at the end of my burnpot in front of the flames.
Is this normal? I have chunks in my ash bin. Not whole pellets but not just fine dust either.

Im yet to really crank the stove to see what it can do.
Perhaps I should do that tonight.

Anyone else have some input?

the characteristics of your ash will depends upon your rate of burn and the type of pellets you burn. For instance, the higher the amounts of salts in your pellets, the more cohesive chunks (clinkers) youll have....the existence of salts will lower the fusion temp of silica, increasing clinkering.

Id have to say it sounds ok tho, all-in-all.

Yes, I have heared some pellets clump more than others after they burn. Almost like little ash cakes...

Sounds normal..
How thick is the ash (in height) at the end of the burn pot? If it's tall, like more than an inch they are high ash pellets. What grade are you burning?

Ditto to the previous posts. The ash from the pellets I burn (goldenfire) sometimes will hang a good 1" to 2" off the ledge before they fall off. They appear clumpy in the ash pan. When I cleaned my exhaust after burning 3 tons last season, it was really clean, probably has something to do with the ash being a little sticky and not getting pulled through, so I see it as a positive. I tried some other pellets, which apparently were higher in ash content. These pellets seemed didn't hang over the edge, but were a lot thicker before falling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.