is pex ok to use ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmeister

Nov 2, 2008
lower ct. river
I've been running a tarm boiler for the past two years with no issues, this summer i put on a small addition that i was going to tie into my short heat loop in the basement which is copper. The plumber stubbed out the new room with PEX and i noticed its stamped 180 degrees. It seems to me its underrated for this purpose, any one have any experence with this?

If the PEX is in the floor of the new area (radiant floor) then you won't want water anywhere near 180 going through the tubing- you need to mix the water down to a lower temperature.

If the PEX is a link to something else like baseboards, get and read the specs on the PEX. 180F is probably the reference point in terms of how many PSI it can handle at that specific temperature, and it'd probably still work at higher temperatures but lower pressures- it's more of a set of intersecting curves (pressure handling ability of plastic pipe declines as temperature rises) than an absolute top limit.

_DO_ make sure that it is tubing with some kind of oxygen barrier if you are going to tie it in with your boiler.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.