Is quad 7100 too big

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbwil3

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2007
Hi,
I've seen reference to this topic here before. I'm needing to replace a 48" wide (opening) heatilator fireplace that's bricked in. It has never really worked well and we're thinking it wasn't installed correctly ( 1978), but that's old music now. I'd like to install the quad 7100, knowing it will be a big job as the flue will most likely have to be replaced also. I'm wondering after getting some knowledge on these forums if this unit is too big for our house size of 2000 , give or take. I really like this look. Can anyone make some suggestions ? The chimney man is coming to do a look see second week of June.
Many thanks,
salbwil

A friend of mine installed that exact unit 2 years ago and loves it. The unit can put out some sick heat....quickly; however, after burning for an hour or so, he turns it way down and it heats his 2100 sf house very easily.

Since their master bedroom is upatairs, they tend to keep the bedroom dorrs closed so the room does not get to hot or stuffy (they like to sleep in a cooler room).

That unit is also not that expensive and a very good buy. As I've said, they love it. I think the only down side is that it goes through a lot of wood like a gas guzzler.

Bettter to much heat than not enough!

I don't have any personal experience with the 7100 but it is a beautiful looking unit.I wouldn't look at an insert that size to heat 2000'though,you'd likely have to keep it dampered down too often or leave all your windows open for the winter.Unless you burn hot,you make creosote like mad and never see the clean burn and true efficiency of the unit.Check out medium-sized inserts from any of the major manufacturers;most are rated from 1500 to 2400 sq.ft heating capacity and should be more realistic for your application.It's been my experience that a grossly-oversized heating system of any sort is as bad as one that's undersized.

the unit is real nice and is probably not to big for 2000 sq ft but the room the unit is in will be very toasty the other thing you may want to consider doing is installing the heat zone kits if possible well you are doing the re-framing work and you will have to replace the chimney as the 7100 can only run on the pipping quad makes for it and nothing else.

I like Mr Super Hunky's idea of value! Only if i could convince every one that $3800 for the unit only is cheap! you want a job? LOL
If you decide on the unit, you wont be disappointed, you will definitely stay warm.

The 7100 has listed at around $3500 since as long as I have been around. On their site suggested MSRP is $4000! And that is JUST for the unit, you still have to pay for venting and labor to install it.
http://quadrafire.com/products/fireplaces/woodFireplaceDetail.asp?f=7100fp

At that price 2 years ago he got a VERY good deal. Maybe it was through a builder discount? Or maybe he has a Northstar not a 7100, still a great unit just a little less expensive.
http://www.heatnglo.com/products/fireplaces/woodFireplaceDetail.asp?f=northstar

Pricing depends on the front, MSRP on the 7100 with the mission hill front and nickle trim doors is right at $3800. I dont know how some one would get one for $2400, thats well well well belower the best colum dealer price, if he realy paid that... he got a smoking deal!!!!

Another cheaper option would be to replace your fireplace doors with Wilkening air tight doors. It may make your heatalator more efficient, especially if you have outside air piped in. But if you are looking at full time burning a higher efficiency fireplace insert would be better in the long run.

salbwil, can you describe the setup? How large a room is the stove in and on what floor? Is this an open or closed floorplan on this floor? Is the current setup on an interior or exterior wall?

There are several options, but it would help to narrow them down. How do you intend to use the new fireplace - round the clock, every day, evenings, or just occasionally? What is your budget? What condition is the flue in?

MountainStoveGuy said:
Pricing depends on the front, MSRP on the 7100 with the mission hill front and nickle trim doors is right at $3800. I dont know how some one would get one for $2400, thats well well well belower the best colum dealer price, if he realy paid that... he got a smoking deal!!!!

MtnStoveGuy:

I should mention that the outer facia of the fireplace had a slight dent/scratch on it. The dealer said he could have it repaired under full warranty without any noticable detection, which he did.

It may be possible (just an assumption) that he may have gotten some type of a credit from the MFG to sell it at a discounted price rather than pay to ship it back; especially since it was only a cosmetic blemish.

I am sure of the price however as I thought that sounded almost too good.

BTW, I am new to this forum and sometimes posting prices paid on iteams can cause "flame wars" almost instantly. Should members refrain from postings prices?, or is it encouraged?....just wondering!

is the price just for the box or for box doors and front because originally the unit came with out doors front has always been option

Hi,
House is two story, farmhouse type cottage ( we built it) , with a first floor that is "T" shaped, fairly open ,having one room where the fireplace is on the middle of outside wall. This room is 18 x 38.The second room , the kitchen and laundry/ bath area , bottom of the t, is 18 x 20. Top floor is bd rms and baths, off a central hall with open stairway. This fireplace is large, which is one reason I thought the 7100 would be a good choice. I do not want to make more work regarding creasote, etc, though, if unit is too big for house. I think I posted a picture of the fireplace some time back when we were considering an insert.
The chimney is brick, with three clay flues, two of which are not being used . We just installed an efficient, direct vent furnace, The flue for the original furnace was in poor shape. I am imagining that the heatilator's flue (3d flue)is probably the same and will need to be replaced with stainless ????? when whatever unit we put in is installed.
salbwil

If i am understanding you have a masonry chimney in the location you want to put the 7100 this is going to cause a very large problem for instalation the stove needs to run on its own pipping from quad and it does not sound like you willl have enough space inside the chimney cavity to install the pipping from your description of the heatilator it sounds like it is using the masonary chimney .

Thank for jogging my foggy memory salb. The poor draft is most likely due to the exterior location of the flue. It would be great if you could get an insulated liner in there. What are the inside dimensions of the flue? You are correct, with an exterior flue the last thing you want is a big stove choked down to idle most of the time. Better to have a stove that is burning hot in there. From the other posting I have the fireplace opening at: 48” wide by 32 1/2 “ high by 20” deep.

One stove suggested by Corie was the PE Summit insert. I concur with that suggestion. Did you look at that stove? Any thoughts? Another insert to look at would be the Jotul C450 Kennebec if you want a more traditional look.

PE Summit Insert: http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_insert_summit.php

Jotul Kennebec: http://www.jotul.us/content/products/ProductArticle____8504.aspx

original pic link: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7075/

Thankyou all,
If I have to go with an insert, I'll probably pick the Jotul ; it is the most traditional "flush" look I like. I would rather go with a new efficient fireplace, thinking that in the long run, the cost would be close, since installing the insert would preclude using the current fireplace anyway, why not just remove ( if cost is resonable, of course) it anyway . I won't know what condition the flue is in till chimney man looks in a few weeks. My climbing days to that height are long gone......don't bounce the way I used to. And husband would do it, but no thanks. Last time he was up there, he dropped a bucket of tar down the side of the house ( and him almost with it ). House sits up high.
I wonder if the Heat n Glo fireplace , North Star packs as much heat as the 7100.
salbwil

cant go either it has the same problems as 7100 rigid big pipe

You might also be able to go with a Hampton 300i, though you'll need to have a custom surround made I think.

Be sure to have your sweep to up with a tape measure and get the interior dimensions of the flue while he's up there.

just a thought if you are trying to find a big insert jotul is launching the 550 this fall it is a large flush fit single door insert built of the 500 platform which is a great stove have one myself 5100i from quad is a big dog insert as well

salbwil3 said:
Thankyou all,
If I have to go with an insert, I'll probably pick the Jotul ; it is the most traditional "flush" look I like. I would rather go with a new efficient fireplace, thinking that in the long run, the cost would be close, since installing the insert would preclude using the current fireplace anyway, why not just remove ( if cost is resonable, of course) it anyway . I won't know what condition the flue is in till chimney man looks in a few weeks. My climbing days to that height are long gone......don't bounce the way I used to. And husband would do it, but no thanks. Last time he was up there, he dropped a bucket of tar down the side of the house ( and him almost with it ). House sits up high.
I wonder if the Heat n Glo fireplace , North Star packs as much heat as the 7100.
salbwil

last year i bought the northstar. i was also concidering the 7100. the room i have it installed in has a 30+ ft ceiling and i have no trouble keeping it warm. i went from burning 2000 gallons of oil to 200 so far this year. i have had the nortstar burning steady sence oct. with oil prices where they are i figure i will have paid for the northstar in one year. if i would have know the return one my money would be so quick i might have gown with the 7100 but im happy with the northstar

Status
Not open for further replies.