Is Silver Maple a hard or soft maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is only one maple that is considered a hardwood. Sugar maple

Adirondackwoodburnererer, I think you're forgetting, in order, (Sugar/Rock Maple), Black Maple, Red Maple, Silver Maple. All hardwoods. Some are harder than others.

true. hardwoods are conisdered as being decidious. Sugar maple is the hardest of them.

Sugar and Black Maples are the only two Maples considered Hard Maples, all the rest are soft Maples not soft wood.

I cut a lot of Norway maple ( seeds from street plantings many moons ago gone wild) and it burns well but I'm always wondering where the heat went. :)
It's considered a weed or invasive here, so I cut it down.
I remove cherry too.
Luckily there's more cherry than maple.

Only white oak ever gets to my fireplace came down in a hurricane. There's so much red oak here dying all over wood should be cheap for the next couple years, but apparently it isn't.

thre you go. thats what I meant!

I wish 30F was our low here in the winter. Are actual low is in the twenties, with an occaisional dip into single digits a week or so a winter, but not all together.

I know we get off easy on home heating here, but in other ways our winter is really worse than yours. We go through a freeze though cycle almost every day in the winter. It's tough on roads. The ground is always muddy, etc.

karl said:
I wish 30F was our low here in the winter. Are actual low is in the twenties, with an occaisional dip into single digits a week or so a winter, but not all together.

I know we get off easy on home heating here, but in other ways our winter is really worse than yours. We go through a freeze though cycle almost every day in the winter. It's tough on roads. The ground is always muddy, etc.

Karl....i'll happily swap you winter for winter...straight up. Deal?. Oh, and I don't know if you've ever been to Michigan....but our "roads" have GOT to be the worst in the nation. In the spring it's tough to tell the dirt roads from the paved ones (though I will say those damned buckeyes that are beneath us seem to have it figured out...hmmph!)

billb3 said:
There's so much red oak here dying all over wood should be cheap for the next couple years, but apparently it isn't.

Yeah, Reds are dying here too. Before too long there won't be a stand of woods anywhere.

Hey Bill - yeah that Norway seems like it lies between the Sugar and red maple somewhere when I have burned it. No real lasting coals like you noted. With wood like that it pays to leave the pieces much larger if you want some coals in the shoulder months or split it smaller and use it to fill gaps when packing the fire box.

Us Buckeyes are winter-morons. We use 15x more salt than is necessary in the winter. (Sub)Urbanites have come to expect a black pavement policy. It's expensive, it kills the cars, damages the roads, creates a mess, and, in my opinion, creates MORE hazardous driving conditions. Snowpack is predictable. Slush, black pavement, ice, and snow mix created by salt is very unpredictable.

I'm happy to live in a township that doesn't salt anything more than intersections, hills, and dangerous curves.

I always wondered how Pennsylvanians were smart enough to figure out how to use sand and limited salt, but us Ohio morons can't seem to get anything right.

That was all fine and dandy until Ed Rendell took major heat last winter after PennDot didn't touch the roads once when we had snow/slush. The weather got colder and that slush turned to ice. Most of our southeastern highways were closed/clogged for 2-3 days. i remember driving into Lancaster City and feeling like there were 4" potholes EVERYWHERE. =-(

derecskey said:
Us Buckeyes are winter-morons. We use 15x more salt than is necessary in the winter. (Sub)Urbanites have come to expect a black pavement policy. It's expensive, it kills the cars, damages the roads, creates a mess, and, in my opinion, creates MORE hazardous driving conditions. Snowpack is predictable. Slush, black pavement, ice, and snow mix created by salt is very unpredictable.

I'm happy to live in a township that doesn't salt anything more than intersections, hills, and dangerous curves.

I always wondered how Pennsylvanians were smart enough to figure out how to use sand and limited salt, but us Ohio morons can't seem to get anything right.

You must get your salt from us. And we follow the same policy of over salting.....and I hate Jim Tressel.

The salt v sand debate will always remain. But those who think sand is great - try cleaning it out of the lakes and streams and wetlands.

Why would I need to clean sand out of lakes and streams?

I care not for the Tressel. That man is the dream of central Ohio. I have no interest in Ohio State. If Ohio State was a state school called Kent State, the rest of the state wouldn't care. Only reason anybody cares is because it's called Ohio State.

author="derecskey" date="1216684508"]I care not for the Tressel.

Good on ya man!.

woodconvert said:
karl said:

Karl....i'll happily swap you winter for winter...straight up. Deal?. Oh, and I don't know if you've ever been to Michigan....but our "roads" have GOT to be the worst in the nation. In the spring it's tough to tell the dirt roads from the paved ones (though I will say those damned buckeyes that are beneath us seem to have it figured out...hmmph!)

Sorry, PA has ya beat there. Over The Road Magazine has taken polls, and about 13 out of the past 15 years, PA. has been unanimously voted worst roads in the US.
OU administration likes to spend money to keep competition with GWB. I hate ALL politicians.

ANy of you other states out there have a DOT that sprays salt brine in about 6 strips down the road. Does absolutely NOTHING, but cost money.

Here in NH, we use mostly dirt and sand mix but in Northen Maine, we use strickly dirt. The roads get so cold that salt will start to melt then just refreeze before it touches the pavement. Dirt is easier to clean up, much less damaging to cars and won't hurt local waterways.

I've been to Michigan. Bear Lake to be exact. I almost drowned there. I was really skinny as a kid and I went up there with the Boy Scouts. I can swim, but when I jumped in that water, I went into hypothermia immediately. That was in July and that water was damn cold.

Hogwildz said:
woodconvert said:
karl said:

Sorry, PA has ya beat there. Over The Road Magazine has taken polls, and about 13 out of the past 15 years, PA. has been unanimously voted worst roads in the US.
OU administration likes to spend money to keep competition with GWB. I hate ALL politicians.

I want a recount!. Seriously, if your roads are worse there than here in Michigan....it's got to be nearly undriveable there.
Dang, check this out: http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/10326
We are #4...I CANNOT believe four states have worse roads than we do.

karl said:
I've been to Michigan. Bear Lake to be exact. I almost drowned there. I was really skinny as a kid and I went up there with the Boy Scouts. I can swim, but when I jumped in that water, I went into hypothermia immediately. That was in July and that water was damn cold.

Yeah Karl, someone should have mentioned that while we have plenty of water around here the big lakes don't get very warm. Not ideal temp wise for swimming.

Ohio's worthless DOT sprays salt brine. And all those chloride mixes that are worse than salt when it gets really cold. My mechanic said he's seen 2 year old cars with completely shot undercarriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.