Is Splitting Really Necessary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a lot of downed sycamore trees with branches seven inches or less in diameter. Since sycamore is supposed to be difficult to split, could I cut 17" long pieces of 7" diameter or less and expect them to dry out enough after a years' storage? Trying to avoid splitting unless absolutely necessary.

I split everything, after learning some tough lessons from not splitting even small stuff. I would say that as an alternative, if you really don't want to put a split in, then take your chainsaw and score a line (or two) down the length of the tree, to put a break in the bark which will aid in drying. Now, as to whether or not that is going to dry that wood sufficiently in the time period you're interested in, I don't know - will depend on your local conditions for storing, weather etc. Plus, I've no experience with this species, but intuitively I think you would be hard pressed to get a green tree under 20%MC without splitting it in one year.

Reactions: fbelec
I generally split stuff bigger than 5" in diameter. Since 5" logs work pretty well unsplit (don't take way long to season), I wouldn't be surprised if 7" works pretty well.

I try to cut my rounds 14" or 15". That may speed up seasoning.

Reactions: Sawset
I split down to about 4" myself.

Reactions: ABMax24
I have a lot of downed sycamore trees with branches seven inches or less in diameter. Since sycamore is supposed to be difficult to split, could I cut 17" long pieces of 7" diameter or less and expect them to dry out enough after a years' storage? Trying to avoid splitting unless absolutely necessary.
Burning in a stove, fireplace or OWB?

Everything gets split at least in half.

They will take many years to dry if they do. Sometimes they just rot from the inside out. IMO you need to split at least in half.

Being sycamore I would leave them unsplit if 7 inches is the biggest you have. It's going to burn fairly fast when it does season so the bigger the chunk the better to me. Stack and cover like any other wood.