Is the Englander 30 a Wood-Eater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seasoned Oak said:
BrotherBart said:
On the burn time question, I put around 40 pounds of dry oak in the 30 at nine o'clock last night. Slept late and at nine thirty this morning the stove was at 300 and plenty of coals to reload. It was cruising at 550 when I went to bed at eleven. Got down to twenty eight last night and upstairs was 70 and downstairs 73 when I finally got out of the sack.

You mileage is guaranteed to vary.

A big factor from house to house is the insulation factor as well, 40Lbs of wood would cook you out of a really tight well insulated house,were a poorly insulated house would still be struggling to get warm.
Your insulation factor will surely vary.
Can't completely disagree with that, but think it's important to note that you can control the rate at which those 40lbs release their heat. In order to have an efficient burn (on the low end) and a safe burn (on the high end), however, your control is limited.

For example, I wouldn't expect a 500sq foot cottage to be able to use that forty pounds efficiently for a 36 hour burn, or a big house to be able to burn through all 40lbs in 3 hours without exploding the stove.

Every house is different,my house needs very little to no additional heat on sunny winter days due to passive solar features, but a lot of heat late night to early morning and on cloudy winter days.
Only an overnight burn is required on those solar days. 24 hour burn on cloudy days.

1600 sqft house, and I burn a little under 3 cords in a season. Also about 50 galons of propane in my furnace for the season on days I don't burn.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
1600 sqft house, and I burn a little under 3 cords in a season. Also about 50 galons of propane in my furnace for the season on days I don't burn.

-SF

That's very good Sly! I use about the same here with the same size house in Mass.. I would think it's colder there too.. Here I have loads of windows and the 1st floor is log and the R-value isn't the best.. I use about 25 gals. a month of oil year round for domestic hot water too..

Ray

BrotherBart said:
Sure it is gonna burn more wood. More heat, more wood. But what is this getting up at night to feed the stove stuff. Ain't done it since I bought that sucker. Make sure the house is warmed up before you go to bed, load it and go to bed.

BB - Who loves sleeping under a sheet.
Ha! I thought you were about my age, maybe not, or maybe I have abused my body more. Sleeping all night isn't in the cards anymore, so stokin the stove gives me something to do while I am up. :smirk:

tfdchief said:
BrotherBart said:
Sure it is gonna burn more wood. More heat, more wood. But what is this getting up at night to feed the stove stuff. Ain't done it since I bought that sucker. Make sure the house is warmed up before you go to bed, load it and go to bed.

BB - Who loves sleeping under a sheet.
Ha! I thought you were about my age, maybe not, or maybe I have abused my body more. Sleeping all night isn't in the cards anymore, so stokin the stove gives me something to do while I am up. :smirk:
Pfft. BB's night (and day) starts like this:

Eat supper,then watch the 5:00 news, then the 6:00 news, then fall asleep in recliner, then wake up a 11:00 and load the stove, then go to bed, the wake up at 4:30 to a bowl of shredded wheat and coffee, then sort his meds into one of those smtwtfs containers, then take a nap, then get the newspaper from the front porch, then take a nap, then have coffee at the local gas station with the farmers, then take a nap, then have lunch, then take a nap, then repeat... (there's usually some forum checking in there,but judging by his posts I think that usually falls DURING the naps...)

All dead on. Well, except for the farmers. :lol:

tfdchief said:
Danno, that is funny, bet then again, BB didn't refute much of it either ;-P
Give him time. He's napping...

Status
Not open for further replies.