Is the Quadrafire 3100 that much better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
I was just at Lowes tonight and should have gotten depressed but I still have hope, maybe someone can help me out. I paid $1278 for a Quad 3100 at a dealer recently. At Lowes I saw the Summers heat 2200 sq,ft model for $899. When I checked on line it was down to $809. The Quads fire box is 2 cu.ft, heats 2200 sq.ft, 52000 btu's, takes 18" logs, only comes with a pedestal and has no ash draw. The Summers Heat has a 3.5 cu.ft fire box, heats 2200 sq.ft, 75000 or so btu's, takes a 20" log, comes with a pedestal and legs, and has an ash draw and I believe is heavier than the Quad but I could be wrong about the weight. Can anyone please give me any good reason for spending $469 more for a Quad 3100? You can order any part you want for the Summers Heat online except I couldnt find an outside air kit although it is outside air adaptable I believe. Quad out of stock, Summers Heat, rite there on the floor in front of me. Yes the Q does have the secondary combustion happening in 4 different parts of the stove but does that make it any better than the secondary burn of the Summers Heat? The Q does have that timer that you set and it adjusts the air intake for you automatically over 20 minutes but I would still like to know why $469 more. If the Q really is a better stove in any way please tell me and the difference in price may not be as hard to swallow.
Thanks,
The Nut
I also put 5 out of 6 of my smoke dragons for sale recently.

I wouldn't say the Quad is a better stove per say, but I'd kill to have the new air system which prevents you from screwing up and forgetting to shut off the startup air.

I'd say the quad is a little nicer stove asthetically, but funcionally no different than the englander (summers heat). I own both so I'm not biased one way or the other.

One thing going for the summers heat, Mike and Corie from Englander are here, but then again we have quad dealers who frequent the site as well.

Ford or Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.