Is the Sante Fe a pain to clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joysman

Hearth Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
new yory
I just ordered a Quad Sante Fe and am having second thoughts...can anyone tell me what their experience is in cleaning this thing? Does the pot take constant daily care and cleaning> I want a stove that I don't have to clean every 6 hours....I dont mind cleaning....just dont want to be a slave to a stove....thanks in advance for any insight!

Probably weekly pot scraping and after 1 ton of fuel a full cleaning. The pot scraping largly depends on the fuel, sometimes with pellets you just get a fine ash dust and other pellets might make black crud and clinkers. The full cleaning you just have to remove the 3 baffle plates inside the unit and suck out all the loose ash, and inspect the blower fan blades for buildup. Yearly it would be a good idea to sweep the flue out.

The lack of frequent cleanings was one of the features I liked about the Quad burnpot. I cleaned our's out once every other week. With premium fuel there were very little clinkers. The only time I had to do it more frequently was when I tried some cheapo fuel from the supermarket. Fortunately this was just for about 10 bags.

THANKS! I feel better...btw...how do I know what is premium fuel and what isn't? My stove store has offered me 3 ton and I'm sure it will be premium...at least I'm assuming it will be...

Pellets are labelled as either standard or premium. If it's a premium pellet it will have the word premium on the bag and is suppose to burn with less than 1% ash remaining. If the word premium is not on the package, it's standard fuel and is suppose to burn with less than 5% ash remaining.

The Pellet Fuels Institute (here) is the organization that sets the standard for pellet fuel quality, so if the fuel you are purchasing has the word premium AND the PFI logo on the bag, you can be pretty confident that it is a good quality pellet. Until there are stricter controls, that's what I look for in a pellet: Premium & PFI.

I have 3 tons of Barefoot pellets coming soon and if you look here you'll see the Pellet Fuels Institute label on the bottom of their webpage.

Steve

Best to confirm, though usually a good dealer wants satisfied customers and few complaints. Ask around. If it's a known brand there will be some folks here that have tried it. Here's a link to an older post that may list your brand. I posted a chart of the suppliers at the time:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8448/#97936

Shortstuff said:
Pellets are labelled as either standard or premium. If it's a premium pellet it will have the word premium on the bag and is suppose to burn with less than 1% ash remaining. If the word premium is not on the package, it's standard fuel and is suppose to burn with less than 5% ash remaining.

The Pellet Fuels Institute (here) is the organization that sets the standard for pellet fuel quality, so if the fuel you are purchasing has the word premium AND the PFI logo on the bag, you can be pretty confident that it is a good quality pellet. Until there are stricter controls, that's what I look for in a pellet: Premium & PFI.

I have 3 tons of Barefoot pellets coming soon and if you look here you'll see the Pellet Fuels Institute label on the bottom of their webpage.

Steve

Bet I know where your getting your pellets from........I just picked up my last 2 tons of Corinth yesterday. They coming in daily now.

Status
Not open for further replies.