Is there a fuel oil preservative/stabilizer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
All,
I heat my house primarily with a wood stove and with a heat pump. But the house has a oil fired furnace as well (I use about 30gal/year). But I have a 250 gal tank that sits in my basement (currently about half full).

Since, at the rate I am burning it, it will last for years (about 8 years per tank), I think i should do something to the heating oil inside it. Any suggestions for fuel additives that will help prevent biologic growth/water/whatnot?

Is there some sort of stabilizer or preservative i can/should add to it?

Thanks
Rick

Any good supply house for heating contractors should be able to hook you up. Alternatively, a large full service truck stop or a good marina would both sell diesel fuel additives which would work fine to stabilize your home heating oil.

Actually #2 heating oil is the same diesel that you can buy at the pump, but without color added, and will run fine in your diesel tractor or whatever. Diesel stabilizers will work fine. Steve

See if you can come across a product called Hot 1

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.