Is there a minimum stove pipe length?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BsFire

Mar 12, 2015
Ohio
Curious if the stove pipe running from the stove to the insulated liner needs be a minimum length? I would think the liner needs be a certain distance from the stove - just having a hard time finding info on this when searching.

Hoping someone can help...
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each stove manual if listed is different, My BK princess manual says a minimum 36" riser before any elbows are added, and elbows should be (2) 45deg ones instead of (1) 90 deg

As long as your TOTAL length of connector pipe & chimney meets the requirement of what the stove was tested at, you should be good to go.
That dimension is usually cited as a MINIMUM in your install/owner's manual.

Got it - thanks!

We've got a unique setup in that the clay flue is off to the right side. It's an empty hearth with no damper, so that helps - but I'm getting hung up on the pipe to liner connection with it having to go to the right instead of straight up.

Just stopped in the local shop to get their opinion on the liner to flue connection... They said I could run the liner down to a small angle connector pipe. Liner would pretty much be ran directly to the stove. What do you guys think - would that be ok?

Depending on where the flue collar falls in relationship to the center of the chimney, you may be able to put a 45º or 90º elbow on the flue collar and angle it up toward the liner. The less resistance in the horiz. run the better. To do this I would want a stove with easy baffle removal for cleaning.

Ok - is there a way to know which stoves have a baffle that's easy to remove? I like the Hearthstone Equinox, but didn't see anything about removing the baffle in the manual I found.

Is cleaning the baffle part of regular maintenance? Didn't find much about them when searching. Thanks again!

Removing the baffle makes it easier to access the flue collar. It's not necessary in all stoves. In some cases the lid is designed to come off (Jotul), In other stoves removing the baffle is the easiest access. In some stoves this is a simple task of slipping the baffle stones between the secondary tubes (split baffles are easier). Pacific Energy's have a unique one piece baffle box that contains the secondaries on the bottom. Pull a pin and lift out the baffle and there is clear access to the flue collar.

Not sure what's involved to remove the top stones from the Equinox. If it's easy then you should have access to the flue collar. If they are cemented in, not so easy.

Removing the baffle makes it easier to access the flue collar. It's not necessary in all stoves. In some cases the lid is designed to come off (Jotul), In other stoves removing the baffle is the easiest access. In some stoves this is a simple task of slipping the baffle stones between the secondary tubes (split baffles are easier). Pacific Energy's have a unique one piece baffle box that contains the secondaries on the bottom. Pull a pin and lift out the baffle and there is clear access to the flue collar.

Not sure what's involved to remove the top stones from the Equinox. If it's easy then you should have access to the flue collar. If they are cemented in, not so easy.

Ok, thanks a lot for the explanation!

In regards to the Equinox, it doesn't look like they're cemented in, based on what I see I found in this video (about replacing the baffle)...

Yes, I have seen that video but they skipped the actual removal part. I would check with Hearthstone to verify or maybe start a conversation with @Kevlar_vw .

Status
Not open for further replies.