Is there a reason why.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyvol

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
North of Boston
Is their a reason why so many new wood stoves, that are recommended, use 6 inch flue pipe.
If I ever update my old stove in the basement using 8 Inch stove pipe, will their be a good stove out their
that still uses 8 inch pipe.
Just wondering.
-gary

Why are you concerned about 6" vs. 8"? If you are concerned about your chimney being 8", there are plenty of 6-to-8 adapters out there that are legit, safe, and legal. There is plenty of double walled 6" stove pipe for close clearance applications too. Assuming that you have good draft already, the 8" of chimney (or larger) shouldn't present too much of a problem.

Gary, the Vermont Casting and Dutchwest stoves have 8" outlets. I thiink most others have 6". A stove with a 6" outlet will draft okay into a 8" chimney, but will draft better into a 6" chimney. When I first got my new stove, I was exhausting into an 8" x 12" clay flue and the draft was lazy. I installed a 6" stainless steel rigid liner and it greatly improved the draft and performance of the stove.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.