IS THERE A SIMPLE WAY TO HEAT A GARAGE WITH A WOOD BOILER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCE FAB

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
SOUTH JERSEY
I have a 20x30 wood framed garage that i spend alot of time in in the winter..Right now im heating it with a 100,000 btu oil heater..I am a steel fabricator and a certified welder so building or modifying a stove is ok....Could a wood stove be modified to heat water and could i possibly use a couple of car radiators for exchangers?

car radiators make excellent heaters with a fan behind them, you are working with the same temps and pressures they were created for in the car. adapting a wood stove to heat water tends to create lots of creosote as the water cools the metal and that cools the smoke which causes creosote build up, if you don't mind the stove stinking like creosote and you make your water either an open system or make sure you have a big enough expansion tank you could do it easily.

rowerwet said:
car radiators make excellent heaters with a fan behind them, you are working with the same temps and pressures they were created for in the car. adapting a wood stove to heat water tends to create lots of creosote as the water cools the metal and that cools the smoke which causes creosote build up, if you don't mind the stove stinking like creosote and you make your water either an open system or make sure you have a big enough expansion tank you could do it easily.
I have an old energy mate stove that lived in out basement for years that i could use as my test subject.Oh and i was thinking about adapting the radiators on to the top of my current oil burner so i could use the blower to my advantage and wouldnt reall take up any more space

My boiler is in my detached 1550 sq ft garage and the radiant heat off it heats the garage just fine. Lowest temperature I recorded last year was 58 degrees. It is fully insulated with three roll up doors.

I spend quite a bit of time out in the garage as you do. When I piped up the boiler a couple of years ago I installed the tees to add a forced air fan type heat exchanger later. I don't see a need for it as stated previously. It's actually "hot" in there during the shoulder season months.

FORCE FAB said:
rowerwet said:
I have an old energy mate stove that lived in out basement for years that i could use as my test subject.Oh and i was thinking about adapting the radiators on to the top of my current oil burner so i could use the blower to my advantage and wouldnt reall take up any more space
Is that an Energy Mate boiler with the V-shaped grate? I sure got scarry flue gas temps out of mine, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
FORCE FAB said:
rowerwet said:
Is that an Energy Mate boiler with the V-shaped grate? I sure got scarry flue gas temps out of mine, Randy
The EM boiler is nothing more than a wood stove with a 22 gallon pot of water on top of it. It is not wet base & you could easily fab this, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.