Is there any way to get a three-way mixing valve to work without another pump?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

Nov 19, 2007
CO 9000ft
I am installing a mixing valve AM102R-US-1 into my system to reduce the temperature to the radiant heating loops.

The installation diagram from Honeywell is shown below.

The extension to my system is shown in the next diagram.

In my diagram it appears that there will be no flow through any of the heat sources if a single pump is used.
If a pump is added with each heat source (like no fossil) and the existing pump is removed then there appears to be no flow through the cold supply to the mixing valve.

So, how do I reduce the temperature to the radiant loop without using another pump?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Single Pump.gif
    Single Pump.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 243
  • am101mixingvalve1.gif
    am101mixingvalve1.gif
    83.2 KB · Views: 268
SteveJ said:
In my diagram it appears that there will be no flow through any of the heat sources if a single pump is used.
If a pump is added with each heat source (like no fossil) and the existing pump is removed then there appears to be no flow through the cold supply to the mixing valve.

If you want to use the thermostatic mixing valve, you need to install a pump on the mix outlet. That will "suck" water through both the hot and cold supply sides.

Joe

Is there an alternative way to lower the temperature for the radiant zones?

Something other than a mixing valve?

Thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.