Is there such a thing as to much leaf blowering?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy P.

Dec 21, 2011
Central Mass.
Since purchasing the B&D 240mph pellet stove cleaning aparatus I've been using it about once or twice a month as part of my regular weekly cleaning. I use it before my regular cleaning regimen and it really seems to get rid of alot of the really heavy stuff and makes the cleaining much much easier and less messy. I do disconnect my vaccum hose. Am i risking damage to any of the other components by relying on the 240mph cleaning device too often?

........................... I do disconnect my vaccum hose. Am i risking damage to any of the other components by relying on the 240mph cleaning device too often?

Keep pulling the hose off and there will be no worries.

Then again... Some (no names) don't pull the vacuum hose and just make sure to leave the door open, while doing the LBT.

I like to Open and Close my door, so I remove the hose on my Quad. Fahrenheit uses a Sail Switch to sense vacuum, my ol Englander has no vacuum. New Englander has a vacuum hose, so I will remove it, when the time comes.

Reactions: jeff_t
As long as you protect the vacuum switch, your good to go.

I always leave the door open when doing LBT.

I clear the fire box and the inner baffle areas first with a brush and then after the worst is gone, the shop vac is used.

Once the stove is basically clear, then I do the LBT..

This clears the exhaust blower an the hard to get to inner passages that you really can't do much with unless you yank the blower and go in with a long handled bottle brush or ???

I prefer not to pull the blower out for routine cleaning.

As mentioned, if the stove comes flying out the end of the LB, you have gone a bit too far.
A friend of mine does an interesting trick when he does the LBT.

He has his missus sprinkle fine sand into the passage that leads to the fan area while he keeps the leaf blower a howling.
The sand flies through the passages and knocks off a more stuborn carbon and soot deposits that just the high speed air alone will not dislodge.

Back in the long ago era, when Steam Locomotives road the rails, it was common practice to introduce sand into the view hole in the firebox door when the engine was working hard, as this would help clean the Flues.

It was a good idea then and will certainly not hurt a thing.

You just have to use fine sand and get it into the high speed airflow.

If you can access the main exhaust passage that leaves the firebox and heads to the fan housing, the sand trick will work great to help clear out the tough stuff.

Snowy

Wish I could find a leaf blower that would do 700mph ..;hm

Status
Not open for further replies.