Is this a bad set up???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeesouth

Feb 9, 2011
Southwestern PA
Is this bad? The chimney is 13" x 13" taccacota in good condition and is easy to access for sweeping. If I swept before the burn season and only used it 20-30 times for the season can I get away with this set up or is running stove pipe all the way up a necessity?

I tried to attach a picture but also included the link incase it didn't attach.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/chimneys/0950s.jpg

Attachments

• 0950ss[1].jpg
    0950ss[1].jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 264
It's not ideal, especially if this is an exterior flue. That is a big flue pipe which will slow down and cool the flue gases. This can have side effects like smoke spillage, poor mild weather burning, lazy fire and serious creosote accumulation. It also means the stove needs to be pulled for flue cleaning which can be a cumbersome and messy process.

What make/model insert? If the insert has a 6" flue, I'd put in a liner for sure.

Running the stove pipe all the way is the best way to go. For many reasons... like.... The exhaust gasses espand and cool greatly being dumped into a masonary flue like that. This cooling causes those same gases to condense and turn into creosote all in the masonary chimney !!!!....and...Depending on the stove itself it (most likely) is designed with a specific size flue, the stove may not operate effeciently or even properly without the correct flue !!!!

This is the 2 biggest reasons IMHO why I would NOT want that type of setup.

From reading many of the posts, running a stove pipe seems to the best option. I am still on a hunt for a stove, but before I bought one, most likely used, I was curious as to whether this set up would be an option. I wonder if anyone has any experience with this set up. Good or Bad!!!

I am looking to put a stove in my camp. Really I am looking for the cheapest and simplest way to fit a stove into an existing fireplace. That is if such a thing even exists!!

Line it, especially if this would be a stone cold chimney when the stove starts up? About how tall is it?

Well, that's better than 12 ft. for sure. If the stove is an 8" flue, maybe try it. But be sure to bring the flue cleaning brush once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.