Is this Beech?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbst09

May 21, 2020
North Carolina
Hello, sorry for my ignorance. Can someone please tell me is this wood is Beech? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: thewoodlands
Beech for sure.

Reactions: cbst09
Sure as heck looks like beech. (Photos are not as sure as in person.)

Beech has fairly smooth, gray bark. Often a lot of horizontal branches. Leaves like you see in the photo. Usually grows in mature forests. Good firewood.

yep. Sometimes it splits nice, sometimes not--but it always burns great!

Prof your picture looks like my picture.

Tell me about that masonry heater. I came within an inch of installing a Tulikivi. Finally, I figured it was just too hot for the NC mountain climate so I built this fireplace instead.

Tell me about that masonry heater. I came within an inch of installing a Tulikivi. Finally, I figured it was just too hot for the NC mountain climate so I built this fireplace instead.
I think you were right in your thinking--I don't consider firing the heater until night time temps are in the 30's for a week or more. Fortunately, in my area, that occurs mid November through March at least. I heat my house with 10-20 splits during this time (depending on the temps--one or two firings per day). This is nice in its own regard--BUT the food that comes out of that wood-fired oven is simply amazing. We cook 9 out of 10 dinners in the oven during the heating season. Of course this requires a watchful eye, as a dish can go from succulent to charcoal in a few minutes--but we have figured this out. The perk is that even when we horribly burn something, we can just push it to the firebox to fully combust with no unsavory odors in the house. I cook everything from lobsters to steaks in the oven. And it can make a $1.50 frozen pizza taste like something from a fancy restaurant. The heater is the heart of our home in more than one way.

Reactions: cbst09