is this chimney cap installed correctly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there isnt any remote chance that having a chimney cap like in the photo, would cause roof damage would it?
such as the issues i am having with the flashing?

Nope. You can get them to fix the liner top plate. But they ain't gonna pay for fixing the flashing. The liner install screw up didn't have anything to do with the flashing problem.

BrotherBart said:
Nope. You can get them to fix the liner top plate. But they ain't gonna pay for fixing the flashing. The liner install screw up didn't have anything to do with the flashing problem.

just making sure...
that and then i could pin point the cause of the leak. i would hate to repair the flashing and then have it do the same thing in a year or two because the underlying issue was not solved.
this has made me decide to take the weekend to inspect my roof and have a roofer come and look at it as well to make sure everything is in order.

Yeah get that leak fixed. Or it is gonna just keep getting worse.

Do you know if you roof was re-shingled in the past few years. I've seen lifted flashing on re-roof jobs. I'm wondering if it was done and new flashing installed over the old roof and not nailed down causing the lift.

As far as leak locating, you could do that yourself with a hose and sprayer. Start low on the chimney and flashing and work up the elevation. Spray and then leak check. It can be a pain, but you need to give the water time to migrate down. Finding the leak is one thing and and fixing it is another.

Another tip is when you notice the leak, see which way the wind is blowing the rain. Up here in Taxachusetts, we get nor'easters off the ocean and the rain will be nearly sideways in a 40 mph gale, causing a leak. Whereas that same leak may be fine on a regular rainy day with minimal wind.

The base flashing around the chimney sides typically does NOT have the bottom flange covering the roof as yours does. This to me tells me there may not be any step flashing under each of the shingles. And watermay be blowing/running in under the base flashing and running in to the edge of the shingles and finding its way in. Step flashings are an "L" shaped flashing that is installed under each course of shingles as they are run up along a wall or vertical surface. The base flashing(the flashing actually on the side of the chimney) then covers the vertical portion of the step flashing. If installed when the chimney was built, the base flashings used to be set in the mortar joints and staggered periodically to step down with the angle of the roof. Yours should at least have had a reglet cut to recess a flange off the top of the base flashing into then sealed.
Your base flashing is surface mounted and has no reglet cut into the stone and is just caulked along the top edge. If the caulk fails at any spot, water can run down behind the base & step flashings. This also may indicate a re-roofing job (shingled over the old roof)
You can easily cut a reglet in with either an angle grinder with a diamond or carborundum masonry blade in it, or with a gas saw with same type blade. You only need to cut in about to 3/4", then install a new base flashing with a reglet bend at the top. Done many of these over my years as a roofer.

Good to see you back here Hog . . . how are you doing these days . . . and how is the stone work on the house going . . . last I remembered it was looking mighty sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.