IS this consider good pex ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fi-Q

Feeling the Heat
Mar 5, 2009
Bonaventure, Quebec
Ok, I got my basement slab poored with pex in it 5 years ago. The design was done by me (With the little I know back then), basically, 1 zone, 1/2 pex, 8 in appart, 4 loop, less than 160 feet each. Bought a manifold from the radiant company back then, but I got ripped off on brokerage fees !!!

Anyway, design by me, but at th etime, I was working on a project 600 miles frome home, so Dad did all of the install. The pex was bought at our local hardware store, they said, this is what we're selling for radiant heat..... So, 5 year after, I am spending (Finally) some time at home and I started to look at the pex, wondering if it's good or not (Reading some post here about non O2 barrier pex, ect...)

So here's the details that i found about my basement slab pex:

Made in Canada by VANGUARD PIPE & FITTINGS LTD. CANPEX OXY BARRIER 1/2 (CTS-00) 100 PSI @180F nsf-PW (ASTM F876/F877) ASTM F1807/F2159/F2434 CSA/8137.5 L24293 PEX1006 SDR-9.

So from what i get it's a O2 barrier 1/2 pex. But it's not cross-linked. Should I'll be ok with this pex poored in my slab ?

And I've got another roll of it, 500' that was left on main floor, uncovered, and withing 6 months, some of the pex faded from the sun, so I will not use for the remaining of the to be installed system. But I will keep it, thinking it can be a good pex to run a water line to my shop, or get 2 run of it in between my future underground line to the boiler, so if ever something froze solid, I could always run hot anti-freeze thru it to thaw the main line (But this is all an eventuallity, I do not have my shop nor my boiler yet, but If I have it laying around, it would be free to add some safety back-up to my underground line, and maybe runnin 1 for year round fresh water from the house to the shop)

What you guys think ?

Thanks

It's PEX. By definition it's cross-linked. That's what the X is for, and you don't get 180F at 100PSI from regular old PE.

...Now, if you'd like to make a black balloon, try 180F water in regular old PE.

And keep that 500' roll out of the sun until you use it.
Don't worry, it's been hidden and coveres for approx 4 years :) .

B&T is correct. What you have is cross linked. In order for any tube to be labeled "PEX" it has to be cross linked. PEX = (P)oly (E)thylene (X)Crosslinked.

All right, I guess I am in good shape with my basement slab then ! Should I consider the same product for the rest of the project ?

Thanks

And I've got another roll of it, 500' that was left on main floor, uncovered, and withing 6 months, some of the pex faded from the sun, so I will not use for the remaining of the to be installed system.
UV causes deterioration of most materials, especially plastics and coatings more than about any other phenomenon, including heat, cold, wind or abrasion. Many coatings, plastic films and adhesives have added UV prevention chemicals but they only marginally protect the surfaces. Cross linking adds strength and allows the tubing to keep it's shape but does not protect from harmful UV rays.

UV causes deterioration of most materials, especially plastics and coatings more than about any other phenomenon, including heat, cold, wind or abrasion. Many coatings, plastic films and adhesives have added UV prevention chemicals but they only marginally protect the surfaces. Cross linking adds strength and allows the tubing to keep it's shape but does not protect from harmful UV rays.

Yeah, that's what I figured, this is why I don not plan on using this roll of pex for my install, but I'll sure keep it around, can be useful somewhere else where it won't be an issue if it breaks !!

Thanks for the info guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.