1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

is this cottonwood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by andrewjoseph, Nov 6, 2013.

1. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    This came from a standing dead tree on my lot, most if not all the bark was off and with no leaves I can't tell for sure. There is little grain, and the color is almost white.

Its super dry though, right after felling and bucking. All under 18 percent.

Is this cottonwood? Hopefully these pictures are good enough.

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim Member

Looks like cotton to me.
  3. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    LOOKS to be either cotton or soft maple, I am leaning more to maple because of the black lines in the wood.
  4. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    The other main reason I'm questioning if its cottonwood is that I can't find another cottonwood in the rest of the woods.

Here is another photo of a split chunk.

Attached Files:

5. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    That looked just like a picture I looked at a couple min ago and the bark on that one was poplar. So this one my be poplar and about shot.
  6. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    checkout fitter9 s thread about wood id and new pictures , about 7-9 below this one.
  7. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim Member

Perhaps this might shed some light. Pic. 1 silver (soft) maple bark.[​IMG] pic. 2 silver maple split. [​IMG] pic. 3 cottonwood chunks. [​IMG] pic. 4 also cottonwood chunks. [​IMG] pic. 5 poplar bark [​IMG] pic. 6 poplar grain split (with baby poop green :b ) [​IMG]
  8. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim Member

Sorry again for the fuzzy phone pics. I hope this helps you or someone. I might even be schooled by these other fine individuals. I'm still saying cotton. I have burnt more of that stuff than all my other woods combined.
  9. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

It looks like you've got a couple of different kinds there. the next to last photo looks a lot like Box Elder to me.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Andrew, I do not think this is cottonwood but it is difficult to tell for sure what it is. It very well could be elm. I don't think it is maple.
    Applesister likes this.
  11. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    My "best guess" was elm as well. Is it tough to split or stringy - trying to hold itself together? If so, elm for sure.
  12. andrewjoseph

andrewjoseph New Member

Loc:
    omaha, ne
    Definetly not stringy. Very little grain. Split very easy.
    I have an old fireplace, nothing fancy at all. I put a 5" by 5" by 16" chunk in and it burned red hot for about three and a half hours before it lost shape. Then crumbled and burned red hot for even longer. don't know how long because it mixed in with the rest of the coals.

It dosent smell odd and burns well. I am new to this whole deal so I definetly don't know.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. This appears to be the only tree like this I have so I guess I won't worry a bunch about it. Kind of a wierd one though.

Thanks everyone