Is this elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I'm clearing a spot out for a chicken coop and cut down a few small trees. I think it's elm but not 100% since I haven't ever cut any
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It looks like Knotty Alder which doesn't grow very big and likes wet areas. elm looks like this much of the horrendous time...

image.jpg

All I have cut around here is Siberian elm and it is different from your pics.

How big is that round in the pic? Sometimes it's hard to ID those small ones from the bark, which looks different on a bigger round. That thing looks knotty, almost like some kind of Cedar or something. I get the feeling that it might be some deep-south species that most of us don't see, like the foot-long cockroach. ==c

Reactions: Rebelduckman
How big is that round in the pic? Sometimes it's hard to ID those small ones from the bark, which looks different on a bigger round. That thing looks knotty, almost like some kind of Cedar or something. I get the feeling that it might be some deep-south species that most of us don't see, like the foot-long cockroach. ==c
You might recognize the image I pasted above eh Woody? Photo credit goes to you pal!

It's around 5 inches.

You might recognize the image I pasted above
I recall an elm pic posted here a couple years back (Jags, maybe?) that would make your hair stand on end! !!!

I had a 20" ash do this exact thing
Ash, really? Maybe got a twisted grain from getting a lot of sun and not growing straight up; My White Ash in the woods here is usually pretty straight and splits easy.

the tree grew straight up, but was the tallest tree with in a 75' radius. I've never had an ash split this mean... if it wasn't for the bark... and the leaves... and the wood.. I'd have thought it was an elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.