Ash vs elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Split

Aug 28, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm wondering if I'm looking at Ash and Elm in this photo.
I think I got a lot of Elm and Ash in my current fresh cord. This is for winter 2025.
Elm would be on left and top in 2nd pic. It feels denser and heavier.
20231115_145049.jpg 20231115_145106.jpg

20231115_145205.jpg

Elm is a great wood for burning, but hell on the splitting, unless you have hydraulics.

Where's @Jags with that pic we always love to see?

Elm is fantastic if dead standing and the bark falling off. Much of the top will be low in moisture count and it splits way easier than when fresh.

Bark on left says Eastern Hornbeam (AKA Ironwood) to me. Very dense an high BTU content. Not easy to split and usually on found in smaller diameter trees (a 10" is big one)

Is it all relatively small diameter? Looks like Hop Hornbeam to me, one of the species known as "ironwood." Have a lot of it around here, great burning wood but the trees don't ever really get that large.

Ironwood is an interesting name, as I've seen it used to refer to at least three different species. I had always known it as applied to Ipe, a popular African hardwood that eats even carbide blades, snaps drill bits, and is heavy enough to sink in water. I make all of my boat trailer bunks out of the stuff, and it literally outlasts the steel trailers, if you can manage to fasten carpet to it.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Here’s some Hop Hornbeam from my property that fell victim to some large pine blowdown.
237FE18F-7A8A-4704-A179-2C248E3F1C56.jpeg

9D695938-CADB-4553-BBBD-5D2378AE2CD9.jpeg

60FB3A5B-89FA-41F6-85CF-0353D175B2F5.jpeg

Interesting. We do apparently have hornbeam here in Nova Scotia. However elm is very common here so that what I'm thinking. I just received a new fresh cord and I'll get some more pics. Thanks for all the replies.

Splitting Eastern Hop Hornbeam can cause a person to question if they splitting across the grain instead of with it ;)

Splitting Eastern Hop Hornbeam can cause a person to question if they splitting across the grain instead of with it ;)
At least with Elm, the answer is always "both", no matter which way you turn the stupid thing. I've never split hop hornbeam, but elm has the most badly-interlocking grain of any wood I've ever seen. You don't so much split it, as tear it apart or pulverize it to death.

No one would ever confuse this stuff with ash, if they try splitting it.

My gut tells me that picture has ash on the left and hop hornbeam (ironwood) on the left.

Reactions: patrickk222