1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is this fire burning ok?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Pascale, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Pascale

Pascale New Member

Hi,

As you could see from my other posts, I'm a rookie and I have many questions about properly burning wood.

Please see the attached video. The temperature on the flue pipe (double insulated) was 600F.

The flames were more blue than orange, there was no secondary burn. It's often the case: the fire doesn't seem intense enough but according to the thermometer (and the advices I received in my previous posts), the temperature seems ok.
    I have the feeling that it's not the wood that is burning but gases. Is that correct? Is that ok?

I have a Regency CS 1200 Alterra and burn mixed wood: maple, cedar, birch,oak, whatever is dry.

So, what do you think: is it burning correctly?

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Is your damper open all the way? Seems like a fast flame. But a small flame?

My 1st thought is the wood? :(
  3. Pascale

Pascale New Member

The damper was about 60% open.
    What does that mean, a fast flame?
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Not sure what stage in the burn cycle you are in to me, but overall, that doesn't look too bad.

Only thing that surprises me is (IF this is later in the burn, say an hour in) that you are still 60 percent open on the draft.

There are several variables here, but assuming that was a 1/2 or better load of wood, you should have been able to have your air closed down further at that point.

Is your glass staying clear / only some white haze? If leaving the air open that far for the duration of the burn, you still get black on the glass, then I'm thinking your draft is weak or your wood isn't seasoned as well as it could/should be.

What's the chimney like (dimensions / type) How long has the wood been cut/split/stacked? What type of wood? Did it have good ventilation?

pen