Is this fire burning ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascale

Sep 27, 2012
Hi,

As you could see from my other posts, I'm a rookie and I have many questions about properly burning wood.

Please see the attached video. The temperature on the flue pipe (double insulated) was 600F.

The flames were more blue than orange, there was no secondary burn. It's often the case: the fire doesn't seem intense enough but according to the thermometer (and the advices I received in my previous posts), the temperature seems ok.
I have the feeling that it's not the wood that is burning but gases. Is that correct? Is that ok?

I have a Regency CS 1200 Alterra and burn mixed wood: maple, cedar, birch,oak, whatever is dry.

So, what do you think: is it burning correctly?

Thanks

Is your damper open all the way? Seems like a fast flame. But a small flame?

My 1st thought is the wood? :(

Not sure what stage in the burn cycle you are in to me, but overall, that doesn't look too bad.

Only thing that surprises me is (IF this is later in the burn, say an hour in) that you are still 60 percent open on the draft.

There are several variables here, but assuming that was a 1/2 or better load of wood, you should have been able to have your air closed down further at that point.

Is your glass staying clear / only some white haze? If leaving the air open that far for the duration of the burn, you still get black on the glass, then I'm thinking your draft is weak or your wood isn't seasoned as well as it could/should be.

What's the chimney like (dimensions / type) How long has the wood been cut/split/stacked? What type of wood? Did it have good ventilation?

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.