Is this liner connection acceptable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
The safest way (to cya) is to buy the connector. I tried to buy the best adaptors, spending a lot of money, confirming with the dealer that, they would all fit together and they didn't. The manufacturer wouldn't take them back or adjust them.
They were off by 1" on both sides of an ovalized adaptor. They said it was "ok" connected like that however, would not put it in writing. The company is VENTINOX. So beware if you are talking to them.

I would buy the appliance connector, one reason being that when you sweep your chimney if it catches on the screws it could rip the liner up and out. With that top strap it helps secure the liner to the appliance connector so that wont happen.

I almost thought I was going to have to do the same thing as you and get that offset adapter, thats what sucks using these smaller inserts, they do not go as deep in the fireplace, fortunately I was able to wiggle my not so flex liner down and over enough to get a direct connect to the XTD, and yes I used that appliance connector.

mellow said:
I would buy the appliance connector, one reason being that when you sweep your chimney if it catches on the screws it could rip the liner up and out. With that top strap it helps secure the liner to the appliance connector so that wont happen.

I almost thought I was going to have to do the same thing as you and get that offset adapter, thats what sucks using these smaller inserts, they do not go as deep in the fireplace, fortunately I was able to wiggle my not so flex liner down and over enough to get a direct connect to the XTD, and yes I used that appliance connector.

I actually already have the appliance connector. But it comes back to the fact that I don't have much wiggle room. If I shorten the bit of "flexible" liner even further to get that appliance connector on there, I don't think I will be able to bend it enough to line up with the offset adapter.

Does anyone have a link to the code/regulation that applies to these installations (free would be best)?

The thing is, the screws will never go away since I will have to screw the appliance connector to the offset adapter anyways.

Thanks,
Jim

Drill three holes in the outlet side of the offset adapter. Run a bead of furnace cement inside it. Insert the flex liner and screw the adapter to the the liner. Install the stove. Light fire. Rest.

(Be sure to drill one of the holes right in the front. One at three o'clock and one at nine o'clock. One in the back won't do you any good because you won't be able to reach it to put the screw in.)

BrotherBart said:
Drill three holes in the outlet side of the offset adapter. Run a bead of furnace cement inside it. Insert the flex liner and screw the adapter to the the liner. Install the stove. Light fire. Rest.

(Be sure to drill one of the holes right in the front. One at three o'clock and one at nine o'clock. One in the back won't do you any good because you won't be able to reach it to put the screw in.)

Actually this is pretty much exactly what I already did. Rutland bead around the bottom of the outlet of the adapter and pushed the liner into the adapter. Four screws on the 90's. Then pushed the insert into the fireplace and wiggled the offset adapter into the stove outlet, barely making the bend. As long as it's not illegal I feel satisfied with it.

I'm only questioning my install now because I read a thread about screws coming loose when used with flex liners.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Be sure you screw the flue collar of the insert to the adapter.

BrotherBart said:
Be sure you screw the flue collar of the insert to the adapter.

I put one screw in the front, since it was such a tight fitting connection. Now that I think about how much expansion and contraction there will be I think I will add two more screws at around 45 deg from center just to be safe.

You bet. You don't want the adapter shifting either from expansion or more importantly from the action of the chimney brush or when you are trying to get the crud out of that adapter.

Squiner said:
BrotherBart said:

Actually this is pretty much exactly what I already did. Rutland bead around the bottom of the outlet of the adapter and pushed the liner into the adapter. Four screws on the 90's. Then pushed the insert into the fireplace and wiggled the offset adapter into the stove outlet, barely making the bend. As long as it's not illegal I feel satisfied with it.

I'm only questioning my install now because I read a thread about screws coming loose when used with flex liners.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

This is the way mine was installed by the dealer's installers/sweeps

Status
Not open for further replies.