Is this new cap and cover install okay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bricks are all even except for two rows that stick out. Those two stick out the same amount as each other.
Ok i thought you had a few step out and then a few step in. You just have a band which is still a spot that is asking for water infiltration.

Given these pics, what would you have done? I thought the solution would be to have them make a new cap that has a more pronounced rain drip curve at the bottom so the water runs off further from the side and doesn't go directly onto the ridge of protruding bricks. Are you saying that instead you would have just chipped those bricks off?
I still would have done the same remove the top layers of brick down to that band. Then add a few layers if need be to get to the proper height and pour a crown or do a chase cover to fit either way. I just prefer a poured crown. A larger lip would help for sure but unless it extends down to that band you can still get water.

All the shops I talked to said that you don't want the cover to go all the way down to the ones that stick out because that makes it so the ones under the cover can never dry out and because it's ugly. There may have been other reasons, but that's what I remember.
Yes it would be ugly which is why I would not do it that way. But why would they need to dry out they will be covered and kept dry to start with

Ok i thought you had a few step out and then a few step in. You just have a band which is still a spot that is asking for water infiltration.

I still would have done the same remove the top layers of brick down to that band. Then add a few layers if need be to get to the proper height and pour a crown or do a chase cover to fit either way. I just prefer a poured crown. A larger lip would help for sure but unless it extends down to that band you can still get water.

Yes it would be ugly which is why I would not do it that way. But why would they need to dry out they will be covered and kept dry to start with

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought someone had said something about water soaking upwards from adjacent bricks/mortar below the chase cover. I don't remember for sure. Is it definitely only a cosmetic issue?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that much if the cover came down and stopped right at the top of that ridge, if the only concern is cosmetics. It's only like an inch further down than where it already stops. Maybe I'll have them just extend down to just past the top of the ridge (plus still give a bit of a larger lip)?

Yes a l
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought someone had said something about water soaking upwards from adjacent bricks/mortar below the chase cover.
a little bit may wick up but it can wick down just as easily. and there will be more water soaking in and spreading up the way they have it now.

The row of bricks just below where the cover is currently stopping is what I see as an issue. Cosmetically it won't look good but in theory you could have that chase cover replaced, extend over and just below that row of bricks in question. Good drip edge on the cover and you'll probably be OK. That corbelling is a nightmare.

The row of bricks just below where the cover is currently stopping is what I see as an issue. Cosmetically it won't look good but in theory you could have that chase cover replaced, extend over and just below that row of bricks in question. Good drip edge on the cover and you'll probably be OK. That corbelling is a nightmare.

That corbelling in particular is a nightmare, or corbelling in general? Not that I can really change it either way.

You think it needs to go past that top row of bricks? I thought if we had the cover stop just past the top of the first row of corbelling that would be good enough. Why does it need to completely cover the first row of corbelling?

That corbelling in particular is a nightmare, or corbelling in general?
Corbeling in is a bad idea it creates an area very prone to water infiltration.

Not that I can really change it either way.
Yeah it can be changed pretty easily. I could have it done in a half day.

Corbelling in general is a nightmare when it comes to water issues. What I would do is like bholler mentioned earlier. I probably would take it down to that first row of corbeled brick. Build it back up if it didn't meet height requirements. If you cover the first row and get the water shedding away from that ledge of brick there's really no way for the issue to continue. Currently water is going to sit on the ledge and very well could penetrate at that point continuing to cause water issues.

Corbelling in general is a nightmare when it comes to water issues. What I would do is like bholler mentioned earlier. I probably would take it down to that first row of corbeled brick. Build it back up if it didn't meet height requirements. If you cover the first row and get the water shedding away from that ledge of brick there's really no way for the issue to continue. Currently water is going to sit on the ledge and very well could penetrate at that point continuing to cause water issues.

I don't know why I said "there's no way" when he had already explained. My bad.

We're just going to have the cover come down further and cover the corbelling. It's not ideal, but we're already way over budget and time. If we can't sell the house 20 years from now because someone doesn't like the extra couple inches on the chase cover, I guess we'll replace it at that time.

I don't know why I said "there's no way" when he had already explained. My bad.

We're just going to have the cover come down further and cover the corbelling. It's not ideal, but we're already way over budget and time. If we can't sell the house 20 years from now because someone doesn't like the extra couple inches on the chase cover, I guess we'll replace it at that time.
Sounds like a plan. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.