Is this normal (pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjm457

Jan 10, 2012
SW Virginia
I bought my Regency i1200S back in December and had posted some issues with hazy and filmy glass and question about the airwash. I have noticed that the gasket around the glass (not door gasket) looks uneven and not sitting right under metal bar that goes on top of it (see pix). Is this okay?

I didn't use it all that much, and was wondering if it came like this or it happened when burning.
Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• regency i1200S door gasket2.JPG
    regency i1200S door gasket2.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 173
  • regency i1200S glass gasket1.JPG
    regency i1200S glass gasket1.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 190
It doesn't look too out of whack and appears to still do what is intended (seal). As long as you can't see any "breach" where air could infiltrate, I think you are good to go.

Ours looks a bit like that too. The main thing to check is that there is at least half of the gasket sitting between the glass and frame. If so, it should be sealing.

We also get a light haze when burning a lot. No big deal. I just clean the glass when I dump the ash every month or so.

If your talking the door gasket it looks fine. The glass gaskets are from what i have been told always loose-like. I replaced the one on my high valley door. The guy at the stove store said there always seem like there barely in there, he said on some even when he puts new in there its still loose. I guess its just the way the window is, maybe they expand and get tighter? Mine untill i lost about a 3" piece that i guess just fell out?? was loosey and it would have long burn times fine. The new window gasket can be tugged without much pressure after replacement.

The guy at the stove store said there always seem like there barely in there, he said on some even when he puts new in there its still loose... The new window gasket can be tugged without much pressure after replacement.

Is that unique to Regency, or normal for other stoves as well? I had the glass gasket pull out on my Jotul Firelight 12 while vacuuming some ash off the inside of the door this spring. I temporarily cemented it back in place for the last few fires of the season, but will pull the glass to replace the gaskets this summer. I'm wondering if it was not failing, but just always loose, and the vacuum provided enough air pressure to pull it out.

It's fairly common. Rather than try to engineer and use an 1/8" gasket for the glass many stove makers use a 1/4" or 3/8" flat gasket slipped partially under the glass. As long as there's good contact and sealing around the perimeter of the glass it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.