Is This Normal When Buyer a New Chainsaw at a Dealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will talk to the sales manager tomorrow and give an update. There is another Husky dealer about 30 mins from my house. This is unfortunate because the problem Husky dealer is 10 mins away. I also have a Stihl dealer 10 mins away as well. Thanks for everyone's input. I am new at this and your feedback is valuable.

This is unfortunate because the problem Husky dealer is 10 mins away.

Hope everything gets smoothed out, otherwise just consider that the other dealer might be worth the trip.:)

Reactions: isipwater
I guess I'm fortunate with my closest Stihl and Husqvarna dealers. They are longtime mom & pop shops that would rather be honest from the beginning and build a good business relationship.

IMO, the dealer should apologize for not being totally candid from the beginning. If I were a dealer, I'd take back the 555, give you a new 555, and tell you to keep the chain. I'd eat the $20 and dealer cost of a chain, but that would be a lesson to me for not teaching my employees to be up-front with customers. My reputation is more important than one sale. Of course, it could be the manager/owner who was being dishonest with you--even worse.

I can say that I've never purchased a new saw with a damaged cap. My guess is that a customer and not a service tech chewed that cap, and then customer returned the saw when it had problems before the 555/562 TSB/recall.

The area of customer service is where Stihl customers sometimes have a slight advantage over Husqvarna customers. Although there are many wonderful Husqvarna dealers, Stihl seems to have a tighter and shorter rope on it's network of dealers. If they don't meet standards, they can lose their Elite status and even their franchise.

Dealer support is everything. I have a Husky shop 5 min. from my house and I drive 35 miles to the shop I frequent. This guy is great, will trade, has excellent prices and stands behind things he sells.

For example I have bought a few saws from this dealer and he had a used 372XPG. He discounted it to $380 for me from $425. The saw was on a skidder and used on the landing and was well used and had a new piston installed. On the first tank it didn't idle down and sound right so I shut it down. I took it back and while I waited he put a new carb and ignition module in. This did not fix the symptoms. He then said he would have to have a little more time to work on it. I also discovered the heated handles didn't work.

He went through the saw and found air leaks from the decomp button and intake pipe were replaced and the handlebar wiring was faulty. When I picked it up I asked him what I owed and he said nothing, I warranty used stuff I sell. I gave him a 50 dollar bill anyway. That makes you want to drive 35 miles.

It's the one on the left.

30vf75v.jpg

I would return it and get a refund, that does not sound like a business I would want to patronize.

and then buy a 036/20" off ebay

Reactions: Osagebndr
Bottom line is you didn't get what you thought you were getting and the sales person was not up front with you. Is $20 and a chain worth keeping that saw after all the research you did? Personally I would either drive the 30 minutes to the other dealer or buy from the Stihl dealer you feel comfortable with but this guy wouldn't get my money. They had two chances and blew them both. Chalk this up as a learning experience.

Edit:

FWIW, I would not hesitate buying a saw off the shelf. That is the way dealers around me do things. If they had all three saws and I picked the old model I would live with that. But they pushed you to older model at the new model price. As much as a nicked up cap would not bother me, if they didn't make things right that is enough to get a credit card refund most times.

Last edited:
Status update:

I called the sales manager who told me that he has the 2013 swapped out for the previous 2011 saw and it is ready for me to pickup.

I told the sales manager that first I wanted to discuss my frustrations over the last 4 days with trying to buy this saw.

At first he listened but when I told him I can buy it for $100 cheaper online and that I expect a high level of customer service at a local dealer he became upset.

He told me that he can just refund my credit card and that I can go elsewhere.

Then he backpedaled and began apologizing and said he hoped I would buy his saw and would throw in another chain.

I told him I will go to the store after work and let him know what I decide.

Run, do not walk away from this merchant. Get the refund and go somewhere else. I'm old enough to defer to other people's opinions about things I don't know much about, but I'm too old to put up with BS like that from merchants.

Refund. These folks seem a bit mercurial. Might kiss your bottom today, kick it tomorrow.
However, be as pleasant as possible. That way the next customer might be treated more respectfully, otherwise they might just write you off as a "difficult" customer.

I agree - Sounds fishy. They should be up front with you. As far as the cap - they should have at least acknowledged the minor damage and that you were getting an older saw.

My 260 was off the shelf, the 362 was not in stock and had to be ordered. They took me in the lot and went thru starting each time and were very thorough making sure I understood how to run the saw. I also got a free 5 hr break in tuneup and chain sharpening for a year. My dealer is disliked by a few as he won't deal on prices and can be a little smug. I like him as he knows his stuff and does have a good shop for repairs. I always walk away knowing I got the right parts, advice or service.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Stihl dealers, in general, don't deal on prices.

There is the type of customer who enjoys the game of talking down the price of anything, as if he were at car lot. He's not satisfied unless he "wins the game" of getting some type of discount. This type will not be happy at a Stihl dealer because they pretty much stay to Distributor Suggested Retail Price on saws and other OPE. Just the way it is.

Sounds like he tried to scam you and you caught him now hes trying to play nicey nice.. I would not want to take the saw back to them for any reason servicing etc I would not want to see their faces as it would piss me off. I would play nice and just ask for your money back.

Any business that tells me to take my business elsewhere after I bring up a concern has guaranteed bad press from me to everyone I know. I'd take the refund and never go back.

The 555 is returned and the search continues. I am going to visit a couple more local dealers. Thanks to all for your helpful feedback.

Np. You worked hard on this, you need to be happy after spending all this money........ If it were me I'd go stihl......

1) It is normal to give customers the floor/display model saw that everyone else has been handling and playing with?

Yes. My dealer had 1 MS440 in stock. The display model. I bought it. Most dealers don't stock several each of their $1000+ saws.

2) Should I return the saw and ask for one of the new saws in the back?

No. You should ask for a new cap.

3) If it is normal to give customers floor/display model saws when they have more in the back, should I ask for a new oil cap since they gashed it?

I would not think so, but a floor model saw isn't like a floor model TV that been on and off hundreds of times. Being handled in house doesn't hurt a saw.

Moot point. The saw is returned. The search continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.