Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sinngetreu, that is not good to hear and I hope all gets well really fast.

On the back-up heat, this is something my wife and I have thought about a little. We have had no backup for well over 30 years but with both of us well into retirement, we wonder if there might come a time it could become difficult for us. Quite naturally, this is one good reason to be way ahead on the wood supply. So, perhaps in the future we may put something in, like a pellet stove. We really do not want to get into the oil or propane battle but if you already have it, then it is another story; you use what you have.

Over 30 yrs, and at no time had the flu together, with no back up for the pipes to freeze and then you freeze to death. Must be a tough sob. I have no back up either, been thinking I may have to put one in.

Been burning some propane at our house too. My wife had surgery for breast cancer in December and is restricted in what she can lift AND my stepson broke his arm three weeks ago and can't handle any wood! I am away from the house 12-18 hours a day for work so the stove is not running as hard as it can. The unusually cold weather this winter hasn't helped any either. I think we have burned about as much propane in the last 5 weeks as we usually do in 6 months!

Dennis, do you have the place setup to prevent pipes from freezing, when your not there? Your right, get that backup heat done. You don't want heat to be an issue when something prevents you guys from running the stove.

No. We usually don't go far from home in the winter nor do we want to. Well, there were those 5 winters we spent in Arizona. For that, we blew water out of the lines, unplugged the well pump and put RV anti-freeze in all the traps. It sounds like a lot of work but really it isn't. Once you start, we usually finished in way less than a half hour.

Over 30 yrs, and at no time had the flu together, with no back up for the pipes to freeze and then you freeze to death. Must be a tough sob. I have no back up either, been thinking I may have to put one in.

My wife said that about me after I fell into the well pit. Landed on my back right on top of the pump too. Hurt like the dickens. I'm not tough any more as I've too old for that now.

I will add that we have not had any pipes freeze since we got this new stove. We did have a couple times many years ago but it was minor. A quick blow with the hair dryer and all was well. One other time we had gone away for Christmas and the weather wasn't bad. However a cold front moved in. When we heard Wisconsin was going to hit -30 we knew we had to get home fast. The water pump was froze but it must have just froze because I had the water going in about a minute. Nothing froze in the house though. I counted my blessings that night.

Been burning some propane at our house too. My wife had surgery for breast cancer in December and is restricted in what she can lift AND my stepson broke his arm three weeks ago and can't handle any wood! I am away from the house 12-18 hours a day for work so the stove is not running as hard as it can. The unusually cold weather this winter hasn't helped any either. I think we have burned about as much propane in the last 5 weeks as we usually do in 6 months!

That is horrible. I hope everyone gets better asap and hopefully we can see some decent temps soon.
Its situations like this that make me so mad that they are jacking the rates as much as they are.

I just heard that NY (and the area) is getting sacked with snow again soon. I feel bad for you guys. We cant seem to get out of the deep freeze here, but we don't have 6 feet of snow to haul wood through. Good Luck!

I just heard that NY (and the area) is getting sacked with snow again soon. I feel bad for you guys.

I'll be clearing however much snow we end up with when I get home at a little after midnight tonight. The two of them have been inside all day.

I'll be clearing however much snow we end up with when I get home at a little after midnight tonight. The two of them have been inside all day.

Good Luck and be safe.

Snow stopped here on the island, heavy 7-8". Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope everyone is well soon.

How are you and the family feeling, Sinngetreu? I hope better. I feel better than I did, not exactly where I want to be yet, but certainly better than I was! My sinuses are still a little "funny", and I still have somewhat of a cough, but that always hangs on. This one dude at work has been coughing for at least 3 weeks now! The wife is doing better too, but still has some issues, but thankfully we can work, I can shovel (seems like everyday here lately lol!) and run the stove so that makes me feel better at least mentally!

I hope that you all are doing better; this is one bad-ass Winter!!! :eek: _g :oops:

How are you and the family feeling, Sinngetreu? I hope better. I feel better than I did, not exactly where I want to be yet, but certainly better than I was! My sinuses are still a little "funny", and I still have somewhat of a cough, but that always hangs on. This one dude at work has been coughing for at least 3 weeks now! The wife is doing better too, but still has some issues, but thankfully we can work, I can shovel (seems like everyday here lately lol!) and run the stove so that makes me feel better at least mentally!

I hope that you all are doing better; this is one bad-ass Winter!!! :eek: _g :oops:

I'm doing much better today. I still cant eat a full meal and am sticking to soft foods, but other than that, we are past the major stuff and recouping nicely. I can finally do farm chores without wanting to pass out. I was able to go back to work today, so that makes me feel a little better too.
My son has made a full rebound and bouncing off the walls, driving Mom and I crazy. My wife is mostly better. She didnt have the vomiting, but still spent plenty of time in the bathroom. Vicious little bug.

I'm glad to hear that you are felling better too! It sucks not being able to do the things we need to. Hopefully we can stay well.

Status
Not open for further replies.