Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raydar

Jan 27, 2024
Los Angeles
This is the first time ever I used the gas fireplace. So I bought some fake logs from Amazon and after using the fireplace some time I see lots of these black fluffy soot things underneath the logs. I'm wondering if it's because of poor quality of the logs or there's something wrong with the fireplace, like burner issue, logs placement is wrong, etc.

1000044157.jpg

1000044158.jpg

This is the first time ever I used the gas fireplace. So I bought some fake logs from Amazon and after using the fireplace some time I see lots of these black fluffy soot things underneath the logs. I'm wondering if it's because of poor quality of the logs or there's something wrong with the fireplace, like burner issue, logs placement is wrong, etc.

View attachment 323932

View attachment 323933
Assuming that everything else is correct with your gas burner,(proper orifices, and gas pressure) the log placement is causing impingement which is creating the soot. If that log set is not specified for that gas burner,(if it is it will include a log placement guide)
then you need to remove some of the logs and only place them where the flames will not directly hit the logs.

Reactions: DAKSY and Raydar