Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmac

Mar 14, 2008
central NJ
I'm just about through burning my first ton. I have an Englandar 25PDV, and I am very happy with the stove so far. However, after 24 hours of burning (one bag, sometimes 1.5 bags), the ash in the burn pot has formed into one big mass (klinker??) Is it normal to form such a large chunk , or should I be seeing mostly fine ash with smaller broken klinkers in the pot? Is there something that I should do? I've burned stove chow, press to logs (lignetics) and pennington. I see the same thing with all three brands.
Thanks

If you are talking about a clumpy puffy ash build up, then that is probably normal. Although some pellets tend to build up more or less than others, and some build the ash quicker than others. Now if it is a true clinker fused ash in a hard lava like formation, then that would would be bad. Especially if you see that with three different brands.

codebum said:
If you are talking about a clumpy puffy ash build up, then that is probably normal. Although some pellets tend to build up more or less than others, and some build the ash quicker than others. Now if it is a true clinker fused ash in a hard lava like formation, then that would would be bad. Especially if you see that with three different brands.

It breaks apart pretty easily, not rock hard. So I guess I'm okay... thanks. So, is a clinker like the hard deposits that I scrape off the burn pot and from around the augar tube? Do they ever form loose in the ash?

I refer to the hard deposits forming on the burnpot edges as carbon buildup but it probably forms from the same minerals that form clinkers. Clinkers are the lava like cluster formations of ash that fuse together when the ash reaches a melting point. There are usually certain minerals and particles in the wood fiber used to make the pellets. These particles are non-combustionable so they don't burn and turn into ash. When they reach their melting point they fuse together and contain some of the surrounding ash to make an annoying hard clump that sometimes has to be chisseled off the burnpot.

Sound to me like your burning is ok. Try some other brands though, because there are many brands that leave little ash compared to other brands. I have tried 4 different this year and have not had a single clinker formation. One brand of pellets I have tried had a tremendous amount of ash and yet another brand I have tried seems to create hardly any in the burn pot. You just need to find what works best with your stove and your settings.

Take a look at the thread url I posted below. "cac4" posted an image of his burn pot which is a good pic of the ash buildup. The picture is showing a bottom feed stove but I think this is the type of ash that you are probably seeing. Its just puffy and falls apart when you try to scrape it out.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29304/

codebum said:
Take a look at the thread url I posted below. "cac4" posted an image of his burn pot which is a good pic of the ash buildup. The picture is showing a bottom feed stove but I think this is the type of ash that you are probably seeing. Its just puffy and falls apart when you try to scrape it out.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29304/

Perfect, that's exaclty what I am getting.... Thanks for the link!

Yes, clinkers can form loose in the ash and they are not always rock hard. I think the point is that if not cleared they can eventually build up and block the air flow killing the fire. For me adding just a bit more air helped blow more ash from the burn pot preventing the clinkers.
Mike -

yeah, with some pellets its normal to get that , some can form a little dam on the front of the pot and make a little nest for othe burn to set in . usually though you should get some clinker but not a huge amount, might just be the pellets, ive burned over 20 brands hard and soft in my own stove at home and many more in the lab over the years and have had differing clinker results from all. its one of the most varying attributes of pellets i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.