Is this quote ok in Ontario, Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mrori

Jun 23, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Got a quote for a free standing wood stove install from local company. First stove install for me, so can't compare. It is going on main floor, with a 19' outdoor wall chimney. The guy said it is a very straight forward install.

BAAF0D33-BDF5-423D-B02C-A3041B229E51.jpeg

I said it🤣 It's 19'

You did, I was just looking at the invoice :). Chimney prices have gone thru the roof lately so it may not be that bad. The invoice is extremely vauge so don't really know the quality of what is being used.

The invoice is extremely vauge so don't really know the quality of what is being used.
Yeah...what brand and model chimney is he using, and what other components, e.g. cap, wall support, wall pass-through? I assume that if it's WETT inspected, it will be installed according to the chimney makers instructions, or doesn't it work that way?
If you can go up inside the house, then through the roof, that's usually preferred over an outside chimney. In a two-story house it might be more work, I don't know..
And what's being insulated? I've only heard of liners in masonry chimneys being insulated, not Class A chimney, which already has insulation. Just some wordplay going on there?

Last edited:
Backing out the extras before tax, the install is still expensive unless there are major complications. But if this is with premium components in today's world, the price may be normal for Canada. Still, I would get two more quotes and I would ask what brand chimney and stovepipe is being quoted. There is a big cost difference between Excel and DuraTech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Assuming this is in CAD, therefore it’s 75% of that price or $3,731 USD roughly not including permit and pad. Seems high but I used to live in North Glengarry and then South Glengarry so a ways from Bancroft but know the area well. It was $1000 back about 22 yrs ago to install single wall black pipe and double wall through the top of a cathederal ceiling, out through the roof and up about 3-4’ outside. So likely you are not far off from price for this to be honest.

Thank you for all the responses. So I got the info on the chimney. Chimney is Secure Temp ASHT. Stove pipe is Secure Black.
So with an Osburn 3500 the quote comes to $8464CAD+TAX, that would be roughly $6500US+TAX.
Hopefully that helps😁