Is this really a fire hazard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MichaelR

Nov 21, 2020
Roseville California
I had a Chimney Sweep come out and he he said the following pictures were cause for alarm and fire hazard. Can anyone confirm this? Hes quoting 3700 for repair. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

smoke chamber-1.jpglintel.jpg

I had a Chimney Sweep come out and he he said the following pictures were cause for alarm and fire hazard. Can anyone confirm this? Hes quoting 3700 for repair. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

View attachment 267379View attachment 267380
Those pics don't show a fire hazard. The smoke chamber needs reparged and I can't tell anything about the liner

He said the smoke chamber was a current fire hazard?

I don't see how it could be. Or how reparging it could cost that much

So in your professional opinion, there is no "fire hazard" risk based on those photos? First time home owner hes trying to take advantage of I guess?

Based just on those photos no I don't see a fire risk. But those photos are not much to go on. What did he propose as a fix?

Based just on those photos no I don't see a fire risk. But those photos are not much to go on. What did he propose as a fix?

He said that the fiberglass stuff they used to use as a filler needed to be mortared over and it needed to be re parged. And we need a new cap on the top because its cracked.

He said that the fiberglass stuff they used to use as a filler needed to be mortared over and it needed to be re parged. And we need a new cap on the top because its cracked.
The fiberglass needs removed not covered over. But otherwise yeah that sounds about right. The price sounds pretty high depending upon what the cap is

Could it be needing a new crown? That shouldn't be overly expensive either, but if scaffolding needs to be set up on a tall chimney with a slate roof I can see the cost rising quickly.

Could it be needing a new crown? That shouldn't be overly expensive either, but if scaffolding needs to be set up on a tall chimney with a slate roof I can see the cost rising quickly.
Yeah that's why I said depending upon what the new cap is.