Is this reasonable? Fireplace install questions. pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Jun 4, 2008
Here
OK, so after some more hours searching and thinking, I have some specific questions about an efficient fireplace install into a corner.

I currently have a corner heatilator ZC insert right now (HD36B, GR4). It is a small one. It is bricked into place, so I will have to do some demo.

My current pre-fab fireplace is so small that I have a hypotenuse on my finished drywall wall of 70.5". As a result, my current framing is too small to fit all of EPA ZC fireplaces I have seen. The smallest require this measurement to be 77". I put some dimensions in CAD and realized that I could fit a Lennox Brentwood into my space, if the front of the fireplace extends out 3.5 inches from the current plane of the dry wall. Currently, I have brick surrounding my ZC fireplace that is 4 inches deep and my hearth extends more than 20" beyond that and is 60" wide.

So, I was thinking that I could frame a 4" bump-out to just fit the ZC fireplace. Then, I could finish up the surround with some thinner materials to hide the fact that the wall is bumped out underneath. I would still have over 20 inches of hearth to the front using this plan.

Does this make sense? Is this unusual? Any problems I am not foreseeing? Any other small ZC fireplaces that may actually fit?

This is an exterior corner of the house, and I am planning full liner swapout to meet specs of fireplace. I would also do the outside air vent through the wall, since it is a back corner of the house.

I plan on doing the demo and having pros do the install.

Thanks,
Pete

Sounds like that would work. I put in a few gas fireplaces in that fashion. So long as you maintain your clearances to combustibles you should be ok.

Thanks guys. I still need to go with a smaller unit given my constraints. Aside from the BIS Ultima/Lennox Brentwood, does anyone know of some other smaller ZC units?

Kozy Heat and Quadrafire units are little too big, as are the Regency units since they are not ZC.

Thanks,
Pete

I started demo and have developed an alternative, more aesthetically pleasing plan, which I think satisfies code.

The manual for the Brentwood (which I ordered this week) says:
"WARNING: Combustible materials
cannot be used in the space directly
above the fireplace, except for the
studs above the facade that support
the facing and mantel. This area must
remain empty for a height of 6’8”
(2,032 mm) measured from the base
of the appliance."

This was the reason for my planning a bumpout. During demo, I came up with the idea of using plywood to bring the floor that the fireplace will sit on up to the level of the bottom plate of my outside wall. Then, I would cut the one stud that would prevent my fireplace from sliding onto the bottom plate at one corner, freeing up enough room to mount the new fireplace back 3.5 inches further and flush with the original wall. I have 2x6 walls, so there is plenty of room to physically fit the fireplace. Of course to comply with the above language, I would place a header beneath the remaining part of the cut stud (now a cripple stud) at a height greater than 68 inches from the stove bottom and place trimmer studs next to my newly created king studs on either side of the cut.

Photos:

Original fireplace with Brentwood mockup:
IMG_3874.gif

View of problem stud that I would cut (with current fireplace corner) - note lack of insulation which I could tell from my cold upstairs closet where chase runs for fireplace:
IMG_3881.gif

Would this comply with codes?

I plan to insulate and drywall where I can and I am considering maybe a foam board insulation with dry wall over it inside this area I am creating. If need be, I would forgo insulation to comply with code, as necessary.

Thanks,
Pete

Anyone have thoughts (positive or negative) on cutting the offending stud, installing a header, and putting my ZC fireplace a couple of inches from the outside wall, just on top of the wall's bottom plate?

Thanks,
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.