is this scrounge worth the work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
What do you think? Worth the drive of about 35 miles?

I havent been able to get much other than poplar and pear, would really love the hard woods, but the photos dont look like any they listed... pretty sure he means magnolia instead of mahogany.... since I dont live in central america...

Free Fire Wood (Selma)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-03-29, 7:37PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trees are all hardwood (oak, dogwood, mahogany )

I have a lot of trees that I have taken down. Cut it up to whatever size you want and haul it away.

I also have some already cut down to log sizes.

Or plenty of trees that need to come down all together. Pick which one, cut it down and it is yours.

Email me if interested.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Attachments

• 3kc3pf3o95Z05U25P0b3tbb11a797cb8c1ac2.jpg
    3kc3pf3o95Z05U25P0b3tbb11a797cb8c1ac2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 616
  • 3m93o73l75Y05T35S1b3t42cf2a1d74d61e34.jpg
    3m93o73l75Y05T35S1b3t42cf2a1d74d61e34.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 626
  • 3n93pf3oc5O65P05S2b3t2b57a46853bf1d1b.jpg
    3n93pf3oc5O65P05S2b3t2b57a46853bf1d1b.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 621
Sure looks like a mahogany log..Could be wrong but thats a good shot it is!

If you need firewood and you have a way to move more than a car trunk full, I think it is worth it. There should be a mix of wood there, and any wood is better than no wood. I'd go out there and get at least one load, then decide if a second trip is worth it. I bet that mahogany burns great, but takes two years to season.

Im looking to start collecting for the 12-13 season, then again ran out of wood this year and determined to never let that happen again!

I have my pick up truck, and might be able to borrow a trailer for the weekend.

I didnt think mahogany grew up here. Looked like poplar to me, but then again Im a terrible tree IDer, being color blind has made that pretty difficult! :)

Whats the BTU for mahogany.

smokinjay said:

If it was really a Honduras (or better yet Cuban),I'd drive 2000 miles across country for it lol

I still have a couple 3" & 4" slabs (15"+ wide) bought years ago when it was cheap & before the CITES II restrictions....

Mahogany in NC? Seriously? You can't mean West Indies mahogany, Swietenia? Not bloody likely. Is there some native tree that the locals call by that name for some reason?
BTW, Munciebob, the mahogany in that chart you posted refers, I'll bet you anything, to Mountain Mahogany, Cercocarpus spp. There are a couple of species that grow in the Far West and they are shrubby little things, maybe ten feet tops. The wood is outrageously hard and heavy and burns like nothing else.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

If it was really a Honduras (or better yet Cuban),I'd drive 2000 miles across country for it lol

I still have a couple 3" & 4" slabs (15"+ wide) bought years ago when it was cheap & before the CITES II restrictions....

Solid body Guitar blanks! 14x21x2= Money! Or an awesome guitar......18x21x2 double necker!

Oops, sorry! I missed the OP's observation that the guy probably meant magnolia instead of mahogany! That's better.

Remmy, if it were me, I'd take it.

I would take them too.

I think Im going to drive down on friday. any if its real good return on saturday.

now to borrow a trailer....

Just gas money. less than $50 is my guess.
What is the cost of a cord delivered in your area?
Looks like Primo wood.
I know I'd be hooking up the trailer & be on my way for anything under 50 miles for that good wood. ($200/cord here)
Get it soon. C/S/S Got to season it ;)

last time i saw some one selling on CL a cord was going for $150 green. $50 should fill my little truck and last me 4 trips or so, then again that was before the gas companies decided that oil needed to jump .50 over night.

having trouble finding a trailer, Im thinking worse case scenario I can rent one.

The game plan is to drive down tomorrow with just the truck/saw to see whats there and meet the guy, most likely fill the truck up for the way home, and if its worth a second trip bring the trailer on saturday when Ill have another set of hands to help load it up.

Tomorrow weather is looking like 60* and saturday will be almost 70* so it should be nice to get out and get some wood! Even better if the wood is good.

Well I made the trip, it was well worth it. Guy has about 30 trees he wants taken down, almost all oak.

This was my 1st trip hopefully more with a trailer to come.

No dogwoods, and the mahagony was a pecan where the center was rotted out of. I got this off of an already down oak, im thinking red. and some limbs from a pecan. Dude has a TON of pecan. I got these limbs which im 99% are pecan and will be meeting the band saw and cut into 1 in pieces for the grill.

Attachments

• DSCN0983.jpg
    DSCN0983.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0981.jpg
    DSCN0981.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 310
Yup. Sounds like it was worth the trip!

I see a dual wheeled trailer on the "want /need list". Or at least one that will handle more than the PU.
Looks like your set for wood for a long time if you get it all.
Good deal.
Good luck.

Borrowed a trailer from a buddy today and went back.

The owner bucked up the rest of the red oak I started on yesterday (third photo, log on the left) for me after I left, so I had to do was roll it up the ramp. This was alot of wood, and apparently my wife likes grass so I cant cover the yard in wood piles (easy for her, she doesnt cut it!).

only made one trip today (perhaps one too many last night)

Get all you can Remmy. It will cost more if you wait a year. Who knows, you may not even be able to buy gas next year.... Tell the wife this pays much larger dividends than a CD would. Most times it also beats the stock market.

Status
Not open for further replies.