Is this stuff basically the same as high temp caulk? (Newbie install)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No not really. High temp caulk is like the typical flexible caulk you use around your windows except it is made from silicone, wont crack, and can withstand much higher temperatures.

The stuff in the link is rigid and is meant for pizza ovens and masonry fireplaces and what not.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm going to put in liner. Wondering if I should I buy chimney liner depot's high temp caulk, $20, into the shopping cart.

can withstand much higher temperatures.

Ain't no silicone on the planet can withstand higher temps than that furnace cement in his link. Silicone goes "poof" at 800 degrees and that furnace cement is good to 3,000 degrees. No Fireshoppe, it isn't fireclay mortor.

I'm going to put in liner. Wondering if I should I buy chimney liner depot's high temp caulk, $20, into the shopping cart.

Where on the liner install are you going to use it?

Ain't no silicone on the planet can withstand higher temps than that furnace cement in his link. Silicone goes "poof" at 800 degrees and that furnace cement is good to 3,000 degrees. No Fireshoppe, it isn't fireclay mortor.

*** much high temperatures than the caulking you use around your windows. Was trying to compare high temp caulk to the regular caulk everyone is familiar with.

Well, I'll just get the caulk, it will prob be simpler, more straight forward. I wondered, because we have some that the Hardy wood furnace repairman left.

Are you sealing the flue collar or the top plate?

For the flue collar the furnace cement is what you want. For the top plate up top silicone caulk works just fine.

Reactions: CenterTree
Great. Thank you! And thanks, all, for manning the forum answer lines today and forward, during these temps. It is an irreplaceable form of community service!

Status
Not open for further replies.