Is this the right thing to do??? Need HELP with Hearthstone stove ASAP!!! Will this damage my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Hearth Supporter
Jun 19, 2008
NY
Some of you know my situation but here's a quick run down

My stove guy ordered me a Hearthstone Homestead. He is installing it and came out to measure and inspect the area.

He ordered the model with the 4 inch legs that does not come with a heat shield and requires a hearth with a 6.6 r value

My hearth is only good up to a 3-r value so I went and complained he ordered me the wrong stove. I need the one with the 6 inch legs and the heat shield under the stove.

Now the original stove they ordered came in and they want to order 6 inch legs and a heat shield and install the new legs and the under the stove heat shield at there warehouse before they bring it to my house to install it.

Is this OK or am I getting screwed??? Can they do this with out damaging my brand new Stove??? I really dont know what to do?

HELP!

It'll be just fine like Tom said. I changed out the legs on my stove in my living room before I installed it. Never seen a stove leg that wasn't just a bolt on item. Heat shields too.

I believe some of the Quadrafire cast iron stoves have the legs as a part of the side cast pieces.

However, that has nothing to do with your hearthstone. Rest easy friend....everything will be fine!

Corie said:
I believe some of the Quadrafire cast iron stoves have the legs as a part of the side cast pieces.

See there. These guys that majored in wood stoves know these things. I think it is dumb if they did that though. Easiest thing to break moving a stove next to door hinges on a cast stove if some dummy doesn't latch the door.

buildersteve02 said:
S hould be just fine, im sure the installers know what they are doing. Just might prolong the installation a bit.

If they knew what they were doing I wouldn't be in this mess right now. If it wasn't for this forum I would have a stove installed that was unsafe. They wanted to install that stove that needs an r value of 6.6 over my brick hearth. They told me not to worry it would be fine. Then I did some research on this site and found out the r value of my hearth is about 3 Less then 1/2 of what I really need.
When I told them about it they told me not to worry they have been doing this a long time and have never had a fire yet.

scary

thechimneysweep said:
Rest easy, Andy:

Hearthstone makes the parts available for field-conversion to transform either model to the other. The process is easy, and the result can't be distinguished from the factory build.

Thank you everyone. I feel a little better now.

I hope they don't mess this up I'm very nervous about this. I went to them because they come across as very professional and knowledgeable. Now I'm beginning to think they just make it up as they go along...

Status
Not open for further replies.