Is this Tulip?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Just picked up a couple of loads of what i think is tulip or Australia's equivalent any ideas? Very clean looking wood. I didn't bother with the hydraulics just the Fiskars. About 1/2 cord.

CAM00451.jpg CAM00452.jpg CAM00453.jpg CAM00454.jpg

Definetely outback poplar. Really have no idea of trees on the other side, under the world. Kind of looks like a mix between oak wood and box elder bark. Good day mate.

Bark is different than the tulip here. Whats the split face look like? A little green?

A little green?
Its actually the whitest wood i have seen. That maybe due to the fact its sitting on top of some redwood i got last week.

Very easy to split with a very straight grain. Quite heavy, much heavier that the redwood but it could just be the water content. I did talk to the guy who was cutting it down and he said it burns pretty well. I asked him if he was burning it now and he said yes we had a cold spell last week. I was stunned - first he was giving away good wood (anything that splits this easy in my books is good wood) and secondly he was burning 'wet' wood. I tried to explain the virtues of burning seasoned wood but........

Definetely outback poplar. Really have no idea of trees on the other side, under the world. Kind of looks like a mix between oak wood and box elder bark. Good day mate.
Gday - its definitely a learning curve all these different types of wood. I'm not a wood snob (yet) if i can carry it and split it it goes into my stash. Its pretty good around here with over 80% of all woods collected hardwood's, the majority of which are Gum which are right at the top of the burning charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.