Is this typical for secondary burn on a Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I was doing the first burn on my Fireview today, and as it got close to 250º on the stove top, I moved the air control from 1 to about .5. "That's a weird looking flame," my Dad said. I looked, and it was doing secondary combustion. A beautiful display, which I caught on video. I was surprised because I had not engaged the cat yet. And when I did engage it shortly thereafter the secondary flames disappeared. There was just a glow from the logs.

Is this the way it normally goes? How is it achieving secondary without the Cat engaged? Is the visible secondary always so short lived? I assume the cat was doing its job when I did engage it because I went outside & couldn't see any sign of smoke coming from the chimney cap.

Yes, I see some secondary flames when the cat is not engaged and it will die off for awhile when you engage since the draft is reduced but will come back in a few minutes. Your first fire was too hot, should of just been a hand full of kindling, but don't worry I doubt you did any damage. Let it burn out completely and cool off before your next fire.

Your going to have to play with the air controls and watch the fire and stove temps til you get familiar with your new stove. You will get plenty of nice looking flame shows with the cat engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.