Is this wood seasoned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I was up on the hill behind my log home and found some wood that had been down for at least 3 years since thats when i bought the house. Wood looked dry enough and not punky, so I cut a load and brought some to put in my wood furnace. Burns ok and coals up nice too.

Thought I might put a couple of pics of the wood and my ash cutoffs I use for kindling I got from a guy who makes Hurley sticks.

Shipper

Attachments

• DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 571
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 566
They look fine. I use these downed trees in the shoulder season. The punkey parts dry out quickly and then there ready to burn.

Looks fine almost fossilized and sounds like it burns good ....burn it up.

Looks like you are setting well Shipper. Burning in the stove is better than letting them rot in the woods.

Let it burn

Every year it's always a combination of nicely seasoned wood and stuff I split an hour ago (kidding, but not really.)
When it turns cold I burn the oldest, and what I just split in the fall/winter (which is the earliest I ever seem to get around to it) you split it thin so it dries faster. That's how I utilize splitting that was done in November/Dec for Feb/March burning. And with my little Intrepid stove, small thin splits isn't too far off from how I have to do it anyway.

I end up leaving the doors on the stove open for awhile to get the fires going if the wood is "almost ready". I'm also fortunate in that there are trees all around, and kindling is always available. Without kindling, forget it.

Keep your eyes on the stack and clean every so often because "creosote happens".

Status
Not open for further replies.