Is ul-103 and ul-103ht the same type pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

missouri43

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2007
missouri
Hello, my fireplace is a buckmaster by buck stove. My manual calls for any ul-103 (ht-2100) type ht chimney system. I have found some pipe that says "tested to 2100F - UL-103 Standard-Meets all UL Requirements" Will this work or do I have to have the "ht" listing on the pipe as well? Any help appreciated.

there are 2 types of class a rated to UL-103 you have the 1700F "UL-103" (usually air cooled for use in "zero clearance" systems) then you have the 2100F"UL-103HT" which is required for virtually any and every woodstove you will buy in this country. the missing "HT" is a big deal

if the pipe in question is tested to "2100F UL-1003 standard" i do not understand why the manufacturer doesnt affix a tag reading "HT" my suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer and first find out if the pipe in question is "listed" at UL-103HT, or just 103, if just 103 pass on it and get somthing with the correct listed specs. if they confirm that it is "HT" listed ask for written documentation on their letterhead stating so, then contact your inspector, and your insurance company and see if this will suffice to be covered before purchasing.

OR, simply shop elsewhere for pipe which is labeled properly and not have to go through this "hoop jumping" exercise that if the company had labeled the pipe correctly to start with you wouldnt have to do.

hope this helps ya

Status
Not open for further replies.