Is ULC-S629 Inclusive of UL-103HT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry BTB, shouldn't be taking the thread off like that.

Have you picked a pipe yet? (subtle attempt to divert attention from the fact that I forgot about open source....)

No, we haven't picked a pipe yet, nor have we picked a pack of pickled peppers.

You had no need to divert attention from your forgetting about "open source", because I and probably a lot others have no idea what "open source" is anyway. So as far as we are concerned "open source" IS best forgotten!

BTB

hey gang, sorry to take so long getting this question answered. anyway here is the scoop from simpson.

the ulc rated pipe does not carry the ul-103ht rating and is not legal for us installations even though the standard for canada is higher, the strict interpretation is that it is not rated for ul-103ht therefore its not ul (us) rated and isnt intended for use in the us.

stoveguy2esw said:
hey gang, sorry to take so long getting this question answered. anyway here is the scoop from simpson.

the ulc rated pipe does not carry the ul-103ht rating and is not legal for us installations even though the standard for canada is higher, the strict interpretation is that it is not rated for ul-103ht therefore its not ul (us) rated and isnt intended for use in the us.

Thanks for the research on this. That is kind of the way I was cautiously thinking anyway. That makes two major makers at least---Simpson Duravent, and Security Chimey, who make a chimney rated to ULC 629, but not also tested and losted to UL-103HT. On the other hand, ICC Chimney Excel pipe, I believe, is tested and listed to both standards. Seems like a smart move on ICC part to broaden market of a single pipe.

BTB

Status
Not open for further replies.