1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is yellow birch always a #$%&* to split?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by pybyr, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    As part of a barter arrangement, I recently got hold of some yellow birch, already cut to length, but not yet split, and I split it all.

From what I have read about BTU content, and simply the weight of the stuff, it should make great heat, but I don't think I've ever seen the woodsplitter work so hard; there was so much wild grain that it was sometimes more like shearing or ripping the wood, rather than splitting it.

(I've more often worked with maples, ash, beech, hophornbeam, and white birch)

Just curious whether this 'goes with the territory' of yellow birch, or whether I just got some from some particularly gnarled trees?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I prefer to buy Ash but one year, Birch was all I could get. That was the year I broke down and bought a splitter. Ja, there can be some pretty gnarly Yellow Birch.
  3. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Let it dry in the round for a year or better and then split it in zero weather. "Like butta" :cheese:
  4. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    I dunno bout the ash you prefer but the stuff i tried splittin yesterday was a pain in the ash! Im pretty sure it was green ash. Heavy as steel and tears apart like it's glued together.
  5. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    White ash is about the easiest to split wood I've ever encountered; I don't know anything about green ash
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    My experience with yellow birch is that it is almost always very stringy . . . but I've never had any issues splitting it . . . at least no more so than any other wood species.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.