Is yellow birch always a #$%&* to split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
As part of a barter arrangement, I recently got hold of some yellow birch, already cut to length, but not yet split, and I split it all.

From what I have read about BTU content, and simply the weight of the stuff, it should make great heat, but I don't think I've ever seen the woodsplitter work so hard; there was so much wild grain that it was sometimes more like shearing or ripping the wood, rather than splitting it.

(I've more often worked with maples, ash, beech, hophornbeam, and white birch)

Just curious whether this 'goes with the territory' of yellow birch, or whether I just got some from some particularly gnarled trees?

I prefer to buy Ash but one year, Birch was all I could get. That was the year I broke down and bought a splitter. Ja, there can be some pretty gnarly Yellow Birch.

LLigetfa said:
I prefer to buy Ash but one year, Birch was all I could get. That was the year I broke down and bought a splitter. Ja, there can be some pretty gnarly Yellow Birch.

I dunno bout the ash you prefer but the stuff i tried splittin yesterday was a pain in the ash! Im pretty sure it was green ash. Heavy as steel and tears apart like it's glued together.

SmokinPiney said:
LLigetfa said:

I dunno bout the ash you prefer but the stuff i tried splittin yesterday was a pain in the ash! Im pretty sure it was green ash. Heavy as steel and tears apart like it's glued together.

White ash is about the easiest to split wood I've ever encountered; I don't know anything about green ash

pybyr said:
As part of a barter arrangement, I recently got hold of some yellow birch, already cut to length, but not yet split, and I split it all.

From what I have read about BTU content, and simply the weight of the stuff, it should make great heat, but I don't think I've ever seen the woodsplitter work so hard; there was so much wild grain that it was sometimes more like shearing or ripping the wood, rather than splitting it.

(I've more often worked with maples, ash, beech, hophornbeam, and white birch)

Just curious whether this 'goes with the territory' of yellow birch, or whether I just got some from some particularly gnarled trees?

My experience with yellow birch is that it is almost always very stringy . . . but I've never had any issues splitting it . . . at least no more so than any other wood species.

Status
Not open for further replies.