Is zinc damper screw dangerous on Dutchwest 2462?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwg

Jan 27, 2022
TX
Broke the damper screw in my Dutchwest extra large catalytic stove. Top of unit gets above 1200 with catalyst in use. Was told to replace with grade 5 and no zinc or galvanized due to strength - I replaced with a grade 8 zinc. Only option without using zinc was stainless 304 which I understood to not be as strong as grade 5. Now seeing comments about zinc being toxic. Is this a safe replacement option for my damper screw?

Broke the damper screw in my Dutchwest extra large catalytic stove. Top of unit gets above 1200 with catalyst in use. Was told to replace with grade 5 and no zinc or galvanized due to strength - I replaced with a grade 8 zinc. Only option without using zinc was stainless 304 which I understood to not be as strong as grade 5. Now seeing comments about zinc being toxic. Is this a safe replacement option for my damper screw?
You want to use stainless

Thanks for the quick reply @bholler. just A couple of points I’d like to understand better. Is stainless not as strong as a grade 8 or even grade 5? Is the zinc not safe for use in the stove?

Thanks for the quick reply @bholler. just A couple of points I’d like to understand better. Is stainless not as strong as a grade 8 or even grade 5? Is the zinc not safe for use in the stove?
Stainless isn't quite as strong but it won't be affected by the heat as much. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of zinc in that location. But you will never get the bolt out again if you use zinc coated. Stainless with lots of anti-seize works best

Stainless isn't quite as strong but it won't be affected by the heat as much. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of zinc in that location. But you will never get the bolt out again if you use zinc coated. Stainless with lots of anti-seize works best
Thanks!

I concur. But I would worry about the zinc too. No sense in breathing in metals if you can avoid it.