Isle Royale Q's + Opinions appreciated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxed_out

Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2010
Central Pa
Hi folks. My neighbor may want to sell his 4 year old IR woodstove. He claims he has run about 11-12 cords thru this thing over the period. Anyway, its the black one, and he wants 900.

I'm really torn, buy this and potentially rebuild it if needed, or shop and buy a new one and get the tax credit. I'm also interested in the Jotul oslo and I did see maybe they'll come out with a top loader.

My VC is not dead yet but I know I need to do something sooner or later.

I'm also curious whats been your or your customers experience with the IR. After 4 years what things go? How much do the typical parts that may need to be replaced cost? What should I check for and what most common places to look. I guess I'd also like to what things typically go? What would be a worst case scenario if she needs a rebuild. What am I in for if I go this way?

Thanks.

Sounds like a nice deal. I can't recall anyone reporting a rebuild of an Isle Royale here. They seem to stand up pretty well. Jags should be able to tell you more, he's had one for about 7-8 yrs IIRC.

I think the Isle Royle is a very nice stove. I looked at one when considering my purchase, with enamal brown - such a pretty stove. For me, in the end, it had more btu output than I need and so I passed. I did a lot of reading on this forum in regards to them and I think they are top shelf stoves. $900 sounds pretty good, maybe you can get him to come down a bit more.

I guess my question for the seller would be - why are you selling? If they are getting a new woodstove, then ask what's wrong with the IR.

As far as rebuild goes, 4 years doesn't sound like a very old stove. Unless it has been overfired or abused in some other way, I can't imagine what you'd have to do to it.

Just to make sure it works as advertised, fire the stove up at the seller's house if it is still installed.

One other thing about the IR. It is side and top loading. For top loading, you have to move the secondary burn tubes out of the way in addition to opening the lid. IMHO, not a big deal, but something to know.

Lasty, the tax credit is a great deal, so if you are close in price - something to consider and it includes installation labor too from your dealer. New stove gives you some warranty you won't get with a used stove.

Good luck,
Bill

Pretty sure that's a 4k stove, I would have grabbed that just for speculation. Pretty sure 'wife and hubby ' has one of them...beautiful stove.

Mine was installed in 2/08, and I've had no problems. We moved this spring, and I decided to move it with me.
I expect many years of service. The stove is top and front loading--with double doors in the front.

Inspect it. Work all the levers and handles, look for cracks. Look for signs of overfiring. From my experience in selling MANY of these stoves to a very demanding clientel on Long Island, I have found these stoves to be a real crowd pleaser. If a new one with the tax credit figured in is more than $2K I would jump on this deal for sure.

Hey thanks for the input and guidance so far. I'm going to try and take a closer look this week. If he lets me I'll try and post some pics. Just one dumb question, what does overfiring symptoms look like on a stove like this?

maxed_out said:
Hey thanks for the input and guidance so far. I'm going to try and take a closer look this week. If he lets me I'll try and post some pics. Just one dumb question, what does overfiring symptoms look like on a stove like this?

On painted cast iron exterior surfaces, white spots. Warped metal parts inside.

warped ashgrates.

Lets see now. 8th year in service and to date I haven't had to touch it, so I can't comment on customer service. I believe the service side would depend on the dealer more than Quad.

The IR is a very capable heater at 3.0 cuft. She weighs in at 460 pounds, so you are looking at a heavy beast. I don't use the top load feature cuz I just don't like dropping wood in - thats just me. With an average height stove pipe, these are a VERY controllable stove. They DO like to run at about 650f stove top, so keep that in mind. Thats a bunch of heat - depending on your needs.

I can't really be of any more help in answering questions about rebuilds because I have never done one and don't expect to for many more years. I have never even replaced a fire brick or gasket. What can I say, the dang thing just works. That is a pricey stove. For 900 bean pods and assuming it was not abused, I would jump on it. Even with the tax credit on a new one, it won't come close to the price you are looking at.

Any more Q's just fire away.

Jags said:
Lets see now. 8th year in service and to date I haven't had to touch it, so I can't comment on customer service. I believe the service side would depend on the dealer more than Quad.

The IR is a very capable heater at 3.0 cuft. She weighs in at 460 pounds, so you are looking at a heavy beast. I don't use the top load feature cuz I just don't like dropping wood in - thats just me. With an average height stove pipe, these are a VERY controllable stove. They DO like to run at about 650f stove top, so keep that in mind. Thats a bunch of heat - depending on your needs.

I can't really be of any more help in answering questions about rebuilds because I have never done one and don't expect to for many more years. I have never even replaced a fire brick or gasket. What can I say, the dang thing just works.

Very interesting to read this because I have had it's "predecessor", the Dovre Aurora since 1993 and can pretty much say the same things about it as you have said about your Isle Royale. That tells me that they used much of the original Dovre ideas and "tweaked" them into Quadrifire. The weight of the stove is close-mine is 470 because of the enamel finish, and he runs around the temp that you said, maybe a little lower, and I still have the original firebrick in it and have only changed the gasket once. They must be good stoves!

PA. Woodsman said:
They must be good stoves!

No doubt in my military mind.

I love ours and we really use the top load during the day for just maintaining the wood supply. prior to the long night burn I use the front load. dont forget the andirons lift up and fold to the outside...very handy for front loading.

I installed mine last year and burned all winter..for 900 buks I would JUMP on it. make sure the fan kit comes with it. if not I would get one.

Just a short update. thanks guys for all the directions, she looks pretty good on the inside, no warping or distortion I can find. Outside looks ok, no white spots. I think its going to need some new fire bricks-they look like they need to be replaced...some cracks and chunks missing. Is that a big deal? Are they just your standard firebricks?

If you guys give me a thumbs up I'm gonna pull the trigger. And then I'll take some pics.

maxed_out said:
Just a short update. thanks guys for all the directions, she looks pretty good on the inside, no warping or distortion I can find. Outside looks ok, no white spots. I think its going to need some new fire bricks-they look like they need to be replaced...some cracks and chunks missing. Is that a big deal? Are they just your standard firebricks?

If you guys give me a thumbs up I'm gonna pull the trigger. And then I'll take some pics.

Get it! Even if you buy the quad bricks it ain't gonna break the bank.

$900 is a good price for that stove. I just got quotes for the Jotul 600 or the IR and both of them are about $2k.

UPDATE: I'll quote the mail I had.
This is from Kringsonline.com and their prices are good and they're one of the few people willing to give me a price over the internet.
Thank you for allowing us to quote you on the Jotul F600.
Retail on the unit is $2583.00 however we are having our spring clearance event and we have two in stock. Your cost would be $2273.00. We use all our own in house factory trained NFI certified installers.
So you have something to compare we also have the Quadra Fire Isle Royale in stock it is the same size and capacity as the F600 but is top load vs side load. that unit would be $2209.15
Please call or email any questions you may have
Matthew T. Goense
Krings Stoves and Fireplaces
610-367-4488
[email protected]

These are decent prices, they're not fantastic for the area but I've been quoted $3400 from other fire place stores closer for the Jotul.

Wow Uber thats great pricing too. Does that include the freight and install? Because if it does thats 2200- 1500 tax credit or 700 net cost. Is there a flaw in my math??? I must be missing something.

maxed_out said:
Wow Uber thats great pricing too. Does that include the freight and install? Because if it does thats 2200- 1500 tax credit or 700 net cost. Is there a flaw in my math??? I must be missing something.

Yes that includes freight and lugging it into my house. ;)

The tax credit is 30%, up to $1500. SO the tax credit on a $2k stove is $600.

What tiber said. Slow typing resulted in duplicate post.

Just a brief update, with the help of my son, a dolly, a chain hoist and a truck the new (to me) IR is in the garage. Man this thing is heavy even without the doors, the top loader, the shields and the firebricks. I'm going to re-do some of the bricks and clean it up a bit.

The kicker is he insisted on 700.

I'm gonna need a 6"round to 8" oval stainless tee-if anyone has one or knows a good place to look fire away.

One other thought... I think the tax credit will apply to a used stove, as well. The main thing is that the stove needs to qualify. I don't think it must be new, so you might get the 30% credit off of the used stove price plus your installation expense. Better double check, but I think that is how it works.

maxed_out said:
Just a brief update, with the help of my son, a dolly, a chain hoist and a truck the new (to me) IR is in the garage. Man this thing is heavy even without the doors, the top loader, the shields and the firebricks. I'm going to re-do some of the bricks and clean it up a bit.

The kicker is he insisted on 700.

Sounds like a great deal. Congrats. It is a beast to move. I had two of jtp's young guys pushing the dolly/stove
uphill on sandy soil to the truck for transport to my new house. I thought they might have heart attacks getting it
up the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.