Isokern Fireplace with Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mts3740

Hearth Supporter
May 19, 2009
Tennessee
When I built my current home four years ago I choose to use an Isokern "Masonry Pre-Fab" fireplace. Recently, I have been exploring options on converting the fireplace with a wood burning insert. Isokern claims that their products have not been tested for this type of use and will not support it. I have spoken with several stove dealers and most don't see a problem with using a wood insert. One dealer told me he spoke with an Isokern rep and was told that Isokern's concern with an insert was specific to the possibility of the insert's expansion when hot and the resulting pressure that might be placed on the masonry structure. Has anyone had similar experience or advise on how to proceed? I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

get an insert that is t least 1" smaller than in inside dimension than your fireplace.. steel dont expand that much.

I also have an isokern fireplace and was thinking about putting in an insert. Is it necessary to do a block off plate and flue liner, etc.? I was hoping to just put the insert in the fireplace and let the blower heat the house. Maybe not the most efficient way, but surely it will add heat to the house and save on the power bill. And safety shouldn't be a concern since the isokern is approved for zero clearance.? Any advice for a newbie is appreciated.
Thanks.

Safety should always be a concern, line that chimney from the stove collar to the chimney top.

mts3740 said:
When I built my current home four years ago I choose to use an Isokern "Masonry Pre-Fab" fireplace. Recently, I have been exploring options on converting the fireplace with a wood burning insert. Isokern claims that their products have not been tested for this type of use and will not support it. I have spoken with several stove dealers and most don't see a problem with using a wood insert. One dealer told me he spoke with an Isokern rep and was told that Isokern's concern with an insert was specific to the possibility of the insert's expansion when hot and the resulting pressure that might be placed on the masonry structure. Has anyone had similar experience or advise on how to proceed? I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

you are stuck with what a maker will say, or your local building inspector. odds are the unit is perfectly safe to install a new insert into,( follow all instructions in the inserts manual to the letter!) you just need an inspector to sign off on it. dont mention make/ model of fp, and the installer/ county inspector will treat it just like any other fireplace....
to be safe, get an insert that is zv approved
the Hearthstone Morgan or Clydsedale are great zc approved units, flexible installation options too

ponyboync said:
I also have an isokern fireplace and was thinking about putting in an insert. Is it necessary to do a block off plate and flue liner, etc.? I was hoping to just put the insert in the fireplace and let the blower heat the house. Maybe not the most efficient way, but surely it will add heat to the house and save on the power bill. And safety shouldn't be a concern since the isokern is approved for zero clearance.? Any advice for a newbie is appreciated.
Thanks.

inserts w/o liners pose the biggest chimney fire danger, draft poorly, reduce eficiency and increase pollution. therefore;
a liner is usually a good idea. here is some helpful info for wood stove insert with/with-out liner>
http://woodheatstoves.com/chimney-liner-handout-p-12036.html

in fact many new inserts require a full liner if not at least a direct connect with block off plate.
all inserts that i'm aware of will require at least a direct connect with block-off plate when installed into a zero clearance fireplace

if you end up installing the insert w/o liner be even more diligent checking for an extra hot hearth, or facia. also excpect it to have dangerous levels of soot in chimney. inspect from the roof and behind surround panels VERY regularly, look for tar like deposits, these are much more combustible thab dry powdery soot, and therefore more of a chimney fire risk.

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I better get it lined.

Status
Not open for further replies.