Isokern Standard fireplace and insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mspigpen

Mar 3, 2022
North Georgia
We are building a new house and installing an Isokern Standard 36" fireplace. We have always used an insert in our previous house. An Isokern rep says an insert "should not be used." Isokern's install manual says:
"Do not use a fireplace insert or any other product not specified for use with the STANDARD Series fireplace and DM chimney systems unless written authorization is given by Earthcore Industries, LLC. Failure to heed this warning may cause a fire hazard and will void the warranty."

Can someone please give me the reasoning behind this? Is there a reason an insert would not work, or be a good idea with this product? Expansion?? Too much heat? Weight??
When I reached out to the company all I got back was "an insert is not needed because Isokern fireplaces reflect the heat into the room." So, they didn't actually answer my question as to why I should not use an insert. I am really wanting to understand the science behind this. Thanks.

I would guess heat is the issue, as they also say not to add glass doors to the front. If they're relying on high air flow to keep temperatures down, an insert could be a problem. Or it could just be a case of not having tested that configuration and therefore not wanting to have to warranty their fireplace to be used that way.

Why would you put in a prefab fireplace in a new house you are building, and then immediately put in an insert? I think they make high efficiency, stove-like fireplaces. Why not put one of those in from the get-go? Also, as someone who also has had an insert in a prefab fireplace for years, it would be so nice if it was a wood stove! Although, I can see the space saving aspect of a fireplace.

Reactions: jalmondale
Yes, if building new, there are several good EPA ZeroClearance fireplaces that will perform as well as an insert in a fireplace. And they are good looking.

The Buck Stove 74 zc is basically a zero clearance insert that performs quite similar to the freestanding unit. No fireplace required

The Buck Stove 74 zc is basically a zero clearance insert that performs quite similar to the freestanding unit. No fireplace required
It is a zero clearance fireplace. An insert goes in a fireplace. Sorry but that confusion can be dangerous

Sorry I wasnt trying to confuse anyone. The modle 21zc and modle 74cz are listed as wood stoves that require zero clearance per the Buck Stove catalogue. I recently contacted and talked to Buck regarding one of these units for my father who now has a zc fireplace with little heat output. Buck refers to these units as zero clearance wood stoves. Or at least they did when I was talking with them recently

Sorry I wasnt trying to confuse anyone. The modle 21zc and modle 74cz are listed as wood stoves that require zero clearance per the Buck Stove catalogue. I recently contacted and talked to Buck regarding one of these units for my father who now has a zc fireplace with little heat output. Buck refers to these units as zero clearance wood stoves. Or at least they did when I was talking with them recently
Yeah I know. It causes problems sometimes when insert and zero clearance units are mixed up